Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    PHONE BOY2369's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    columbus ohio
    Posts
    527
    +1
    7

    Water level in Morgan city

    Was just wondering what the water level down there is like since all its doing is raining up north every single day. Will it be a problem for June when we all come down are should it all level out by then.I'm sure the Mississippi river got to be taken a toll on everything .


  2. #2
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by calendine2369 View Post
    Was just wondering what the water level down there is like since all its doing is raining up north every single day. Will it be a problem for June when we all come down are should it all level out by then.I'm sure the Mississippi river got to be taken a toll on everything .
    Good question being we only have 35 days to go. Even less for you guys.

  3. #3
    04gtxsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,090
    +1
    197
    Check this out. Not sure what level would have to be to create all the NWZ I am sure jerry can chime in.

    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

  4. #4
    cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    north jersey
    Posts
    6,188
    +1
    176
    i was just going to post this same question

  5. #5
    PHONE BOY2369's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    columbus ohio
    Posts
    527
    +1
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Good question being we only have 35 days to go. Even less for you guys.
    Ya I know it's got us worried about it. I am getting so tired of this rain that is all it has done for about two months straight.

  6. #6
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    Hey guys: Yeah, it looks to be a record year. Our locals (based on gov't. intel) are expecting this year's reading in Baton Rouge to top the all time recorded record of 1927. It is my understanding that the levee is now being sandbagged in downtown BR as the crest is expected to top the lowest portions of the levee there. Will it affect the area waters of Mudbug? I'm sure it will but the jury is still out as to how much or for how long. And there is no one decision made for all of that water...

    Each municipality/parish decides when the NWZs are posted: In the L. Verret area, they use a gauge posted near the PP Bay bridge. That decision is made by Assumption Parish. Further on down towards Stephensville and Morgan City you're dealing w/St. Martin and St. Mary parishes. I'm not sure what bench mark they use on the gauge, but we will keep you informed. I would expect one of my other local GH brothers will chime in w/better info. than I can give.

    Of further interest: As of right now, the state is not expecting to relieve the Miss. R., by use of the Morganza Spillway; which is good new for us. Anything released at Morganza will flow south into Morgan City. The more water they keep in the Miss. R., the better it will be for us guys come June. And, as of last week, the ACoE is expected to open the Bonne Carre Spillway which is just above NOLA. That, too, will be good for us.

    Keep in mind the following: While anything is possible, none of this will likely affect the area I plan to ride on Wed. As far as the spillway itself is concerned, as long as the ramps are open, we will likely still ride there, too.

    Finally, we SoLA boys will keep you guys posted as the info. comes to us. Hang in there...

  7. #7
    Moderator #985 lasportsmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pierre Part, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,780
    +1
    358
    I live on the lake right near Gros. I have a mark on my dock where the NWZ go into effect. While yes it is a few inches away from it we still have a little bit to go. The water coming south has to flow down here then back up into the Amelia to Lake Verett area. I am not saying we are not affected but the range is different. Also the good part is it is happening now. There is plenty of time for the water from up north to get here and flow into the gulf and drop. The amelia launch is a little over 20 miles from the gulf and can drop quickly so really we can only speculate right now what will happen in the next couple weeks much less a month away. I ride the MB waters about 4 days a week and I will keep everyone posted on what is going on and lets not get all worried about this yet. Just with the north wind we have had the last 3 days has dropped the water lever in Amelia where my boat is at port quite a bit.
    Here is the page to keep an eye on. This is the only one that is directly related to the MB waters. It has gotten to 4.1 and we were still not in a NWZ. If I remember from 2 years ago it was 4.3 when it went into effect. This one is right in Lake palourde just a few miles from Gros.
    http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/Water...2750&fid=&dt=S
    This is the one I use.

  8. #8
    formerly Gold06RXP Turbo Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    2,095
    +1
    97
    Up this way the army corps off engineers just blow up a levee at the confluence of the Ohio and Miss rivers to save the town of Cairo, Ill which sits right between the miss and Ohio rivers. Gator you sent me that info on flooding but i dont know how to interprett it so you explaning it in black and whit e helps!! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Hey guys: Yeah, it looks to be a record year. Our locals (based on gov't. intel) are expecting this year's reading in Baton Rouge to top the all time recorded record of 1927. It is my understanding that the levee is now being sandbagged in downtown BR as the crest is expected to top the lowest portions of the levee there. Will it affect the area waters of Mudbug? I'm sure it will but the jury is still out as to how much or for how long. And there is no one decision made for all of that water...

    Each municipality/parish decides when the NWZs are posted: In the L. Verret area, they use a gauge posted near the PP Bay bridge. That decision is made by Assumption Parish. Further on down towards Stephensville and Morgan City you're dealing w/St. Martin and St. Mary parishes. I'm not sure what bench mark they use on the gauge, but we will keep you informed. I would expect one of my other local GH brothers will chime in w/better info. than I can give.

    Of further interest: As of right now, the state is not expecting to relieve the Miss. R., by use of the Morganza Spillway; which is good new for us. Anything released at Morganza will flow south into Morgan City. The more water they keep in the Miss. R., the better it will be for us guys come June. And, as of last week, the ACoE is expected to open the Bonne Carre Spillway which is just above NOLA. That, too, will be good for us.

    Keep in mind the following: While anything is possible, none of this will likely affect the area I plan to ride on Wed. As far as the spillway itself is concerned, as long as the ramps are open, we will likely still ride there, too.

    Finally, we SoLA boys will keep you guys posted as the info. comes to us. Hang in there...

  9. #9
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLD06RXP View Post
    Up this way the army corps off engineers just blow up a levee at the confluence of the Ohio and Miss rivers to save the town of Cairo, Ill which sits right between the miss and Ohio rivers. Gator you sent me that info on flooding but i dont know how to interprett it so you explaning it in black and whit e helps!! Thanks
    Yeah, I watched that "tragedy" unfold in the news... blow the levee to save Cairo, but prob. sacrificed a hundred homes and crops. What a decision...

    BTW, I don't profess to be a hydrologist, but I'll always do my best to explain those data sheets. I pretty much only pay attention as regards rising/falling water levels from Red River Landing and north. Except for the levees breaking or spillways being opened, what happens south of Red River L. doesn't affect that Morgan City area too much. My dad taught me how to read that part of the paper before I was in high school. It's always been, for me, useful information that I never learned in formal education.

    Needless to say, it will be a very interesting spring rise. If I get any pix of this year's rise, I'll post them here.

    Anytime you guys have a question or need a heads-up, I'll be glad to post.

  10. #10
    Swedish Viking Craigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,367
    +1
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by calendine2369 View Post
    Ya I know it's got us worried about it. I am getting so tired of this rain that is all it has done for about two months straight.
    Ohhh, so your tired of the rain - huh? Ya know it could be worse - yeah, like TRY LIVING IN SEATTLE~!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Leaving today will be in morgan city wed.
    By SUCKMYWAKE in forum Mudbug Nationals PWC.Life Rally
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 11:41 PM
  2. Only in Morgan City, La
    By 97GPSLEEPER in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
  3. Gas Prices In Morgan City...?
    By GeoRXT in forum Mudbug Nationals PWC.Life Rally
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 05:25 PM
  4. Bird Watching in Morgan City, LA
    By tomgtv in forum Mudbug Nationals PWC.Life Rally
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
  5. best western in morgan city has frauded my credit card.
    By rapidacceleration in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •