Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wet Pump Mod

Wet Pump Mod

Just wondering how many have done the wet pump mod, I had my pump out getting the prop rebuilt and thought I might do this mod as well. If you could post your pro's and con's here that would be great and detailed pics even better

Cheers, Max Downs

+1
    I have done a wetpump that has 12 hrs on now. Diffrent bearingsetup then the twin stock 6303 setup. I'm still testing this twin 7303 angular contact bearings but so far so good. No play and no problems. I have a sponge stuck inbetween the front and rear-bearings in the pump and took it out to inspect. Did find traces of metal-shavings on it so I can tell you that it appears that at 10 hrs on a wetpump your oil is already full of shavings. Did not pick up anything in bearing-play, still spinning freely and oil-viscosity still seems ok. The sponge in my opinion cleened the oil by acting as a filter. Again you guys are using the twin stock-setup or 300 setup so this is maybe a bit of useless info for you. Definately spinns more freely. Takeoff feels better but not spectacularly measurable diffrence. Stock seals in the front with grease inbetween. O and no heatring on outer bearing-race, no oilloss and no H2O in the oil.........yet.

Here's a pic of the sponge cut in half and rolled open:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sponge.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	237829
    Last edited by UltraKvz; 05-05-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks ultra, would you recomend this mod?

+1
    If you mean wetpump with twin stock or 300 setup then yes. But check your oil level regularly. All the big bearing manufacturers recommend oil bath with high rpm's. If you take a look at a bearing with the common Ultra-heatring you don't need to be a genius to figure out what happened. The wetpump-setup allows heat exchange from the cold water flowing through the pump and the 8000rpm-spinning bearings in the pump. Less heat, less expansion, less wear.

If you mean a wetpump with the twin angular contact bearings then hold on. This setup is not tested more than 12 hrs. For max thrust load/protection I run the two 7303 bearings in tandum and not back to back. 80w 90 gear oil 3/4. You must be spot-on with the seating of the bearings or boom. I shimmed mine and to date did not have to re-shimm for wear at all. Think of a wheelbearing on a car when you think of this setup. If I can hit 100 hrs without a fault then I'll recommend it. There is someone else on this site olso doing simmilar test but it's up to him to tell.

That's all I can tell you about the wetpump for now but as time goes on will update the Poor pumpbearing design thread.

cheers

+1
    fyi max lots have done it, but from my understanding they have gone back to the greased bearings, ok if you are a racer pulling your pump all the time but too risky not knowing how much oil is staying in there for a rec rider

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Agree

wet pump for the racer or frequent removal to inspect

grease if you are a rec rider

reason is If water gets in the oil can get out..........and you WONT know till too late, yes the double/ coonass will do its job

the grease cant run out if the seal; has a moment

yes water will still stuff the bearings in the long term, just the bearings in the OEM version will still have their OEM fitted seals that will do more than not having it when a wetpump mod is done.

Waz
    Waz

Thanks Guys I think I might leave it alone then. I just had the prop done and I don't think they put too much grease back in when they reassembled the pump. I might have to get a spline tool and pull it apart.

+1
    the key is get as much grease into the seals and front cavity as you can this stops any gaps for water to work its way in from oem they use very little grease this is one of the reasons some shit themselves with very few hours on them if yan done the prop you would be very happy he makes them nice and tight dont start it on the trailer smear plenty of grease around the sleeve and start it only in the water.

Yeah yan done the job, so he would've put the pump back together properly then? I've been told there is a guy up in the sunshinecoast hinterland who is ment to be really good aswell. I don't know his name but he came highly recomended

+1
    not sure how yan goes on assembly as i always do my own and only get him to build the prop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information