Virage i sounds like a bad starter then won't idle

Trying to get my 2nd Virage i running. 1st it was a crank no start, just got the EMM back from DFI technologies now it runs....... well sort of.

2 issues if you guys could weigh in?

1st it sounds like it has a starter with a dead spot in it. When you go to start it you just hear the starter grinding like it is not engaging. Take your finger off of the start button wait 2 seconds hit it again and it cranks. Sometime while it is cranking it will go from a solid crank to a grinding and then back to a crank. I could nurse this along but my guess is one day I will go to start it and it will just grind. Sounds like the starter needs to come out and the flywheel needs to be inspected? It only has 40hrs should I just replace both and move on. Any advice on R&R would be appreciated.

Secondly it does not seem to want to idle. May also have an acceleration issue. Too hard to tell with out a water test. It is to tempting to just adjust the throttle on this to get it to stay running. If I just apply slight pressure to the throttle it will stay running. I suspect just adjusting the throttle will be compensating for another problem lurking.

So here is the background just picked a pair of them used. About 40hrs on each the one that I am working on now has not been ran in 3-4 yrs. I was able to siphon about 95% of the old fuel out. So there may be a minimal amount of old fuel mixed with new fuel. Replaced the oil (amsoil) just to error on the side of caution. DFI provided me with paperwork of their functional test of the EMM no codes, injector voltage, regulator voltage etc. Right now the outside temp is 40F. Could it be that simple that they just need to be ran for a while and it is to cold out for it to idle? Also I am guilty!!! My need for instant gratification got the best of me. Local dealers (not Polaris) could not come up with the OE plug that I requested. I settled on cross referencing for an Autolite Iridium looks identical but who knows about the specs. Could it be that simple that I should junk the new Autolites and put OE plugs back in? I was going to do this after the water test I figured I would burn out the old stuff on the Autolites then go to the NGK's. Right now I would not even feel comfortable doing the water test without it idleing.

Thanks in advance you guys are awesome!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    NGK PZFR6H spark plugs only - no substitutes. Order the correct spark plugs.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

These Ficht engines are very picky about spark plugs, and they really like fresh, new spark plugs.

In the meantime, put in the best two PZFR6H plugs you have on hand, even if you need to borrow them from the other engine.

I suspect the TPS has gone bad on this engine. Borrow the TPS from the other engine and see if it makes a difference in how it behaves.

Do NOT tighten the throttle cable to make the engine idle 'better'. There must be a tiny amount of slack in the throttle cable at idle so the EMM can correctly calibrate itself for idle. The EMM will control the idle at 1150RPM in or out of the water.

Check fuel pressure at the schrader valve tee. Should be just over 20PSI.

40F air temperature? Sounds like you have time to order the correct spark plugs

Before I did anything I went on Sparkplugs.com and ordered 2 OE plugs for each machine.

Switched out the TPS (the known good one looks like an updated part) Still wouldn't idle. My fuel pressure guage is at work and not available till tomorrow. Cleaned out Autolite plugs still wouldn't idle and frankly it seems like it is misfiring. Switched out the Autolite with the old fouled and worn OE NGK's now it idles and does not misfire.

Good call these ficht engines don't like any substitutes. Interesting that the other ski idles with the Autolites.

Wonder why the Autolites were so black (see attached)

Now that just leaves the starter issue to play with next. Would like to get these things going for the North East ralley.

Thank you again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 010.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	237878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 011.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	237879  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ1 View Post
    Before I did anything I went on Sparkplugs.com and ordered 2 OE plugs for each machine.

... Switched out the Autolite with the old fouled and worn OE NGK's now it idles and does not misfire.

Good call these Ficht engines don't like any substitutes.

Interesting that the other ski idles with the Autolites...
    The Ficht ignition system is different from a 'normal' CDI system. At idle RPM the Ficht system actually fires each spark plug multiple times during each power stroke. This is a very rapid electrical pulsing and requires the specified spark plugs to behave properly.

I don't know exactly what is 'special' about those NGK PZFR6H spark plugs, but the Ficht EMM sure can tell the difference

+1
    i would now pull the mag cover, flywheel, and starter drive. inspect the drive, and flywheel teeth.

i have seen the starter drives "expolde" and take out the electrics, flywheel, and even front crank seal, causing major damage.

i have starters, and drives here, if you need.

Banned User
    +1
    That happened to the 900 Im working on now. Luckily the stator was still good, but it trashed the flywheel magnets.

i had similar problem with starter, turned out to be the starter drive, replaced starter and drive then had rough idle and hard starting after replacing starter drive, pulled everything back apart and somehow cracked a flywheel magnet, so i would check there. hope this helps.

Thread Information