FX HO Oil Change Question - Hitting resistance with the extracting tube

So I need to do an oil change this spring and I have one of those Oil Extractor kits. I remember the first time I did it running into some resistance when I inserted the tube down into the what felt like bottom of the oil tank, I pushed through it and got the tube another inch or so down into the oil tank. Am I supposed to push past this resistance or stop there? It felt like I could damage something down there when I pulled the tube back up...

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    the resistance you can feel is a metal plate at the bottom, its a kind of cycle baffle to rotate the oil. its ok pushing past this to get the rest off the oil but owning the same craft i am always wary as pulling the tube back out you run the risk of shaving the tube on the metal on the way back out, then this shaved plastic will cycle the engine, im sure the filter will filter it out but not before its been round the engine.

+1
    I've felt this resistance too. I do not push past it.

I just change my oil way more often than recommended. It's only 2.5 quarts...

+1
    Get a flexible hose...it will push right past with just a little bit of force. A lot more oil can be extracted once past this point. You can find the soft flexible hose in the cheap oil extractor kit from Wal-Mart....it will adapt to the hard plastic tube that I'm sure you're using.

Is it possible to damage this baffle by pulling the tube out? It felt like it was pretty weak and could easily get bent pulling the tube past it...

+1
    I broke the fitting where the dipstick attaches to the engine. There is only one screw holding it on. I had to buy a new fitting and had it drilled out so that it could be screwed down on both sides. I'm not sure why it broke..... but I do change my oil A LOT!

+1
    How'd you do that Gary?

You purchased a whole new dipstick housing? I'd imagine that changing that out (not to mention drilling/tapping for the extra screw) would be fun to do with the engine in the hull...

Google search full wave marine. Its an Ausitrailian web site Scroll down to technical tips on the left side of the screen. There is a whole lot of info on the FX HO maintanance. It has pics of the bottom of the oil tank. there are some small holes that the oil suction tube should go thru. There is a whole lot of other info in there.

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    Google search full wave marine. Its an Ausitrailian web site Scroll down to technical tips on the left side of the screen. There is a whole lot of info on the FX HO maintanance. It has pics of the bottom of the oil tank. there are some small holes that the oil suction tube should go thru. There is a whole lot of other info in there.

Roy
    Awesome post! http://www.fullwavemarine.com/TIPS%2...AHA%20PWC.html

Thread Information