Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is a hose test enough for engine quality?

Looking to buy a 2003 gp1300r tomorrow. Guy doesn't live real close to water but said he would hook up to a hose when I come look.
    Is a hose fed run enough to notice engine problem? Seems there are some Threads on here about engine issues after "x" minutes or ski only hits "x" MPH, which would be hard to tell I would think if only on a hose.
    Ski has stage 2 kit on it and claims 73 mph with 94 hrs
    What else should I look for and what is a fair price?

I will be bringing a compression gauge with me, how much PSI rating do I need out of tank to provide overhead room for the test?

+1
    It would be better to ride it than just running on the hose. try to see if he will meet you near a lake or river.

+1
    Not sure what you mean by "overhead room", but if it is a stage 2 with aftermarket heads you should see about 150psi.

Thanks for the responses so far

Mjh, I mean do I need a air source that can provide only 150 psi or does it need to be like 175 or something in order to accurately measure the 150? I've only done a compression test once before and it was on an airplane and was like 3 years ago so I'm a bit rusty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far

Mjh, I mean do I need a air source that can provide only 150 psi or does it need to be like 175 or something in order to accurately measure the 150? I've only done a compression test once before and it was on an airplane and was like 3 years ago so I'm a bit rusty
    OK, I understand now. I think you're thinking of a leak-down test. You won't need an air compressor for a compression test, just a compression gauge. First remove ALL the plug wires, then remove one plug at a time, connect the tester & crank the motor while holding the throttle open.

+1
    There isn't any load on the engine when running on a hose, so no, that won't tell you much. A compression test is definite good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    OK, I understand now. I think you're thinking of a leak-down test. You won't need an air compressor for a compression test, just a compression gauge. First remove ALL the plug wires, then remove one plug at a time, connect the tester & crank the motor while holding the throttle open.
    whooops. You're right. ok thanks

Defnitely gonna try to get on the water for a test, otherwise I think I will have to pass for now.

Seller is gonna allow me to take ski out myself on a test run since he has to stay at work.
    Any last second tips/suggestions? I have searched and feel somewhat prepared but advice is always good to have.

when you do a comp test make sure you hold the throttle in the fully open position, this is the correct way to do the test and will give you an accurate reading. take all 3 plugs out and test one barrel at a time. listen for noises, rattles, bearing noise in the jet unit, any rattles when the engine idles in the water, check trim and steeing cables are free not tight, engine starts easy once run up to temp. no smells of fuel in the hull (no broken fuel lines) engine mounts are in good shape, search for rust under the seat, this will tell how often the ski got sprayed down with oil after use. once you've used it see if any water has leaked in anywhere. look thru the jet unit for damage on the prop, look for chips or dents in the blades. make sure all the gauge cluster works, no dead spots. throttle and choke cables are free. lastly when running on the hose so the jet unit is free from load try to listen to the intermediate bearings on the drive shaft for noise or rattles, because to replace them it's an engine out job, I've just done mine, there is a grease nipple but IT DOSENT FILL THE BEARINGS, it just filled the space between two seals to block and water that gets past the first seal. good luck with the ski. how much r u paying? I think that should do the job

I did all thaexcept listen to the intermediate bearings while on hose. I had read a pretty thorough checklist a few days ago and tried to follow that but forgot to bring it so did it by memory/common sense.
    Inspected before the run and post run.

On a side note, how do you get the water out of footwells? I guess just use a towel? Trailer doesn't allow ski to tilt up enough with those raised wells to drain out like I'm used to doing.

Also as has been mentioned on here, that sucker is WIDE. Especially when compared to the XP I used to ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information