Conflicting information on piston quality/reliability

I've got two 2002 GTI LE's and I'm replacing the top end on both of them after we bought them with water damaged cylinders. I'm planning to send off the used cylinders that I buy to fullboreonline and have them bore and hone the cylinders and fit pistons to them. I hear and read SO MANY differing opinions on what pistons will work/are best/will fail or not fail etc. What I THINK I've read is that provided I have a stock motor and use the ski's for casual/fun riding then I can go with the WSM's (I'll splurge and go with the platinum coated ones). But, i've also had other people say go with the Pro-X pistons no matter what or you'll be sorry. So, here are my questions:

1. Has anyone here had any personally witnessed failures of the WSM's when used in the above application, stock motor, casual riding etc?

2. Is it at all beneficial to go with the Pro-X pistons if I'm not going to use the ski's for racing/super hard riding conditions? I mean, I can spend the $80 extra bucks per ski on them if they really are that beneficial but obviously, with having to redo both ski's, I'd rather not if it's not necessary.

3. I'm going to rent a needle bearing removal tool to remove the current pistons. Since the new ones will have caged bearings (right?), will I need this tool to replace them or not?

I think that's all the questions for now. I'll post more if I think of something. Thanks in advance. I used the search function but didn't find anything that answered these questions.

+1
    I have no experience with WSM pistons so I can't help you there.

I have used both ProX and OEM in a few different Seadoo rebuilds with no problems.

I personally prefer non caged wrist pin bearings as they have more needles therefore surface area to distribute the forces on the bearings. For removal push the pin through with a socket sized slightly smaller than the wrist pin. For installation the non caged bearings from Seadoo come in a plastic holder that allows you to easily install them in the rod end then as you push the pin in it pushes the plastic holder out the other side.

I have WSM's in my 98 GTXL (951) and my 96 GSX (787), and both perform well. I used the caged bearings that came with the top end kit.

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the platinum coated WSM pistons with the top end kit. I talked to the machine shop and they told me the top end kit will have 100% everything I need, all gaskets, bearings, circlips etc. I'm going to use the caged bearings that come with it.

Wire4Money, did you need any special tools to install the caged bearings? I rented the circlip installation tool and the needle pin bearing removal tool today so I'm well on my way!

I have had good luck with WSM pistons and SBT pistons. I have had bad luck with OEM pistons, so go figure....

+1
    I have used a ton of WSM pistons over the last 5 years with no problems to date.

Good deal! I'm really looking forward to getting the cylinders back and getting the first GTI put back together followed closely by the 2nd one maybe a week later. I pre-paid for the kit online, have my receipt to send with the cylinders and plan on having them in the mail by Monday. I just cleaned/degreased the outside of the used pistons tonight. I'm going to go to the auto parts store tomorrow and buy a spray can of engine paint that matches the rest of the engine and get them painted up nicely before I send them in. Then, once I get them back I can jump in and get that baby running again. I've already got the needle pin bearing tool and circlip installation tool rented and on the way to my house. Both should be there by the time I need them. I'm sure I'll be running back to ask more questions as the top end rebuild progresses. Thanks again folks. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by gt2003 View Post
    Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the platinum coated WSM pistons with the top end kit. I talked to the machine shop and they told me the top end kit will have 100% everything I need, all gaskets, bearings, circlips etc. I'm going to use the caged bearings that come with it.

Wire4Money, did you need any special tools to install the caged bearings? I rented the circlip installation tool and the needle pin bearing removal tool today so I'm well on my way!
    no tool needed

Thread Information