Thread: R plugs

R plugs

My SLT has a sticker which specifies R plugs only. As far as I know they prolong the spark duration but is there any potential damage to the electronics by using non-resistor plugs or is it a performance isssue?

+1
    Hey Kraf-T,
    Both. Damage may occur and you could alter performance.
    YES, you should ALWAYS use resistor type plugs when they are specified, ALWAYS.

From NGK's website:

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: When should I use a resistor spark plug?
    A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.
    NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.
    They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.
    In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

R plugs

Thanks CrazyA Informative answer. Could've been messy!

+1
    Hey, no problem Kraf-T. Ya know, there was a time when I used to say, "Ah, hell with it, it don't matter does it?", but with todays electronics (cdi's) and stuff, it really does. They use 'em for a reason and I would hate to see you have any trouble just cause you didn't happen to have any "R" type plugs hanging around, ya know?

Thread Information