01 XP 947 no fire

installed a new sbt motor. rebuilt the carbs. my ski ran before but i quit running it because the piston was getting scortched. anyways. i put the flywheel on the new motor, it came with a new timming key on crank. i made sure i put it onn right and npot sloppy. the stator i didnt have to alter because it was already bolted to the outer cover. I tried to start it last night and no fire. it back fired through exhaust twice at initial start up but thats it. I have spark becauase i can see with the plugs out. got plenty of fuel. Im stump. engine cranks over good. someone told me its my battery. even though it cranks great and fast it still can rob voltage.i hope it isnt a sheered key any help please.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your mag cup is of a bolt hole position or two. make sure that your MAG piston is at TDC and the pick up on the MAG cup is just before the pick up

but that isnt possible. it can only go on one way. like i said the stator i never took off because its mounted to the outer cover. flywheel just slides onto crank with key. a guy told me to checke cranking voltage at battery and it should be 10.5 volts. if its lower it will not spark??

+1
    the flywheel only goes on one way but the mag cup can. did you mark the mag cup locaton before you pulled it off? Like I said. make sure that you are TDC on a piston and then check to see if the magnet on the mag cup is just before the pickup for the stator.

ok i pulled off the mag cup from the flywheel. i see 2 positions how it was mounted on there. but i see 3 magnets on outside of mag cup two little ones on outside and one wide one in the middle. so which magnet were u refering to?

+1
    If you are TDC on a piston place the big magnet just before the pick up. That should fix your problem

did you seperate the mag cup off the flywheel when you did the rebuild?

Lets see if i can explaine it better. On your flywheel near the teeth there should be a hole and in some cases theres 2. Now on a 01 carb there should be 3 small magnets and one big one so a total of 4. As for what way it goes on. With the 1 hole flywheel the large magnet goes to the left of the hole. on a 2 holed flywheel the large magnet goes between the 2. If the hub is in any other spot it wont start. but you should still have spark

Thread Information