+1

Magneto or battery

Can't seem to hold a charge. How do I tell if the magneto is bad? Do they need to be replaced when the engine gets water locked? Got the engine rebuilt and put it in another ski. Battery was fine before the flood. How do I tell which is the issue. I have to jump the ski to start it. Reads 9.62 v while off. It shows 13.62 running

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Can't seem to hold a charge. How do I tell if the magneto is bad? Do they need to be replaced when the engine gets water locked? Got the engine rebuilt and put it in another ski. Battery was fine before the flood. How do I tell which is the issue. I have to jump the ski to start it. Reads 9.62 v while off. It shows 13.62 running
    imo its the battery because if you have a full charge on the battery and its only reading 9.62v when it should be about 12.5v or so, and then when you jump it it reads 13.62 which is what it should be that tells me that the magneto is working but theres a dead cell in the battery which is why you have to jump it..i could be wrong wont be the first time ,but i would start with replacing the battery..to double check u could go to advance auto parts and have them check the battery..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    imo its the battery because if you have a full charge on the battery and its only reading 9.62v when it should be about 12.5v or so, and then when you jump it it reads 13.62 which is what it should be that tells me that the magneto is working but theres a dead cell in the battery which is why you have to jump it..i could be wrong wont be the first time ,but i would start with replacing the battery..to double check u could go to advance auto parts and have them check the battery..
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wanted a verification before I coughed up 80 bucks for the battery. Thanks!!!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    could be the rectifier

Thread Information