Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 GP1200 problem

Anyone ever have a problem like this: Install battery-install lanyard-gauge barely lights up then goes out within a secong- push start button- nothing. Remove 10amp fuse- install 10amp fuse-gauge barely lights up then goes out within a second- no start/ no crank-nothing. Not the battery- tried two different batteries which were fully chraged. Any ideas. Checked the safety/ start/ stop switch all fine. All connections plugged in. Will a bad CDI unit do this?

Thanks

+1
    Cant say for sure about the CDI - and just a guess, but it sounds like to me bad connections some where. Being plugged in doesnt mean connections are good, necessarily. Maybe a wires is shorting out. Def something up....

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    had sim prob with my 98 gp1200, turned out to be coroded wires in the cluster plug arking out when batt conected

+1
    Ross, are you sure that it's not the Programmable Digital Locking Ignition (PADLOC?) I've got a 97 GP1200 and everytime I take the battery out, I've got to get my owner's manual out and go to page 2-14 and reread the steps to reprogram the PADLOC. It won't light up the MFD and it certainly won't crank until I reprogram that PADLOC.

I'm just assuming that your later model is similar. If not, then just ignore what I wrote!

+1
    Should be the same, I've got the 99 and 97 - def a good thought to check!

It does have the PADLOC. I do not have the owners manual for the ski. Where can I find the info to reprogram.

Thanks

+1
    If someone doesn't get it to you first, I'll try to get the info to you after I get home from church. Oh yeah, it's Mother's Day. Give me a little longer.

Danny

+1
    I cant upload the manual, its 10 mb
    You press and hold the mode button until the display shows start or lock - enter the 4 digit code using the ABC in the right sequence. It will then lock it or be in start mode.

Found this below - hope it helps -

It's been a long time since I did it but, I also think you can reset the code by disconnecting the blue one-pin coupler (that goes into the display unit), pressing mode for 3 seconds, and keying in the new 4-digit code. A blinking 'set' should then be displayed. The buzzer should sound and 'START' should be displayed. After it clears, re-connect the blue coupler and you should be good to go. Test by holding down the mode button for 3 seconds, keying in new code, and it should toggle between "start" and "locked". I also think this procedure is laid out in the Owners Manual.

+1
    CDW has it correct. The only little thing that my owner's manual says that is different is that after the buzzer sounds, "SET" should be displayed instead of "START."

The blue connector that you disconnect for this procedure is behind the front storage compartment.

Thanks guys, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information