Questions to ask when buying on Craigslist

Hey everyone looking at buying atleast one ski either a RXP or RXT and have been looking on craigslist. I would like a little bit of feedback on the questions I should be asking the buyer about the ski.

1. Do they function normally and do you have any form of repair record for them when they went into be services.
    2. Do they have any type of warranty left on them?
    3. Do you have clean title for the ski?

Should I ask for th HIN number from the owner to run it against stolen vehicles?

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Last edited by TechIsCool; 05-07-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: update title

+1
    I'd be very cautious when buying a big ticket item (ski, car/truck, boat, bike...) on C-list. Lots of forum members come across scams monthly and post them up to make other members aware - I see it all the time. Personally, I'm not a C-list shopper... but I'd want a picture of the title next to the HIN on the ski, so you could see them at the same time in the same pic.

If I was buying used, I'd want to test ride it (or at least hook it to the hose) and get a compression check - all prior to handing over any money.
    Good luck, but be very cautious.

Oh yeah, welcome to the 'Hulk.

thanks for the information I believe in if its too good to be true it is. I am looking at one that is too good to be true 08 & 09 RXP with clean titles for 5600 sounds like a scam doesn't it.

+1
    That ad with the 08 and 09 has been all over the country-scam, if it sounds to good to be true-it is! You can usually tell by the description right off the bat-a lot of the scams dont really write a lot of pertinant information about the skis, they will copy and paste tech data clips and write-very nice-no wrecks-bs like that-not really giving actual info about the skis. Also noticed they include a email addy in the ad to respond to instead of the usual response through the cl link. beware
    Quote Originally Posted by TechIsCool View Post
    thanks for the information I believe in if its too good to be true it is. I am looking at one that is too good to be true 08 & 09 RXP with clean titles for 5600 sounds like a scam doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    That ad with the 08 and 09 has been all over the country-scam, if it sounds to good to be true-it is! You can usually tell by the description right off the bat-a lot of the scams dont really write a lot of pertinant information about the skis, they will copy and paste tech data clips and write-very nice-no wrecks-bs like that-not really giving actual info about the skis. Also noticed they include a email addy in the ad to respond to instead of the usual response through the cl link. beware
    Yup thats what I thought
    http://bit.ly/jqsOwO
    this is the ad that I saw I am still giving the person a little room via email to hang himself. Already had that lame yahoo auto's scam sent to me.

+1
    Nothing like calling out a scammer. Want to have fun w/him or verify it's a scam? Find out the exact location (city) of the skis and tell him something like "What luck! My job is sending me there the day after tomorrow... this'll give me an opportunity to hear them run!"

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Nothing like calling out a scammer. Want to have fun w/him or verify it's a scam? Find out the exact location (city) of the skis and tell him something like "What luck! My job is sending me there the day after tomorrow... this'll give me an opportunity to hear them run!"
    The funnest thing is my father is on a trip 200 miles away and is willing to look at them but I have told him that I believe its a scam and don't get your hopes up.

Asked the scammer for HIN and Title in the same picture and another of the ski and my name written on a piece of paper with the time stamp correct. who knows if he will do it but its always better to be safe then sorry.

I recently bought a pair of used 2008 RXTs on Craigslist sight unseen. It is possible to do it, but you have to protect yourself. We used the local dealer as the intermediary. I had the dealer check out the skis and then once I heard from the dealer I sent the money to the seller. Once he received the funds he told the dealer they could release the Sea Doos. You can tell right away from talking to someone if it is a scam or not.

Thread Information