+1

99 GSX 951 limited ....questions...

What's up everyone? New here...and if I get a ski or 2 this year I'm sure I'll be an active local very quick.. I'm very active on numerous other forums for diesel trucks and euro cars...just moved to the shore and now I need a ski haha...

A friend of mine has a few skis he looking to get rid of and I'd like to get them soon because the price is better than right...I have a few questions and looking for some input..
    It's a 99 951 GSX limited edition...he put a brand new motor from seadoo in it ($2,500)
    It started right up but would not stay running...he said the dealer told him it was probably the carbs..he is a mechanic and very knowledgeable, he checked out the carbs but the dealer said there is something in them internally that can't be tinkered with or whatever...he has another set he got off eBay that hes going to throw in..my questionmis does anyone know if the dealer sounds like he knows what hes talking about, or if anyone has had similar problems or can add any input...I'd be droping the skimand carbs off to my buddy who works at a cycle and ski dealer/shop who went to MMI and is very knowledgeable but I just want to know what I'm getting myself into and if anyone can throw anything else out there...
    And anything else you can share about the 900gsx would be awesomely appreciated ...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the dealer sounds like a scammer trying to get him to take it into the dealership to generate some revenue. EVERYTHING can be fixed.nothing is unfixable. the motor is a 951cc if hes claiming its a 900 hes full of $hit...theres no such thing. and for 2500 thats not too bad of a price. first thing to check is does it have the gray fuel lines? if yes then the carbs need to be cleaned. there is no reason that it shouldnt stay running. it should idle about 3000 rpm out of water and 1500 in the water with no need to keep your finger on the throttle.

+1
    Sorry I meant to type 951 ...yea the STEALership said check the carbs, my buddy checked them out and said they seemed fine, he said he also checked the bypass fuel switch...he said he then told the dealer WTF...this motor is brand new and it won't stay running so he said the carbs have something inside that get screwed up or something like that, he then got carbs off eBay, they were wrong, so he then got another set that were right but never attempted to put them in, he got frustrated that he was spending more and more and went and got and modded a yamaha gp1200 instead...he also has that for sale but it burns 16 gallons per hour so screw that haha...
    I'm just trying to see what I'm getting myself into if I try to get these carbs put on and then for some reason the ski still wont stay running ...

+1
    nothing against your buddy but if hes working at a dealership and has been to school apparently he didnt study too much. Im thinking you either have a clogged filter in a carb, mis adjusted HI/LOW screw, or a leaky needle and seat, or mis adjusted idle screw. depending on what he did to the original set of carbs this should be an easy fix till you know exactly what he did to the carbs the first time.

+1
    Sorry if I was unclear...the friend that went to school and works at a different dealership is a differnt friend, he is who I would take the ski to for repair..he dosent work at the seadoo dealer, it's a honda/yamaha/Suzuki, etc place and he knows 2 strokes and jet ski stuff.... friend that is selling the ski works as a vw/Audi tech and is just all around mechanical, but got fed up with messing with it and just stuck all 3 sets of carbs in the shed and covered the ski up and it's been sitting since...
    I'm hoping to be able to bring the ski and the carbs to the other friend and hopefully with a couple hours of tinkering he'd be able to have it up and running...hopefully everything else besides the battery which I'm sure is dead, would check out ok as well...
    So hopefully like you say its jus some carb adjustment or fixing...
    Anything else I should lol out for on this ski? Supposedly STEALership guy said these were strong and desireable skis that ran great and were the king shit before they started supercharging them...

+1
    its a stable ski with some power. not my cup of tea though. As for the ski I would check the compression regardless. fog it before you do. check the VTS motor and check the prop and wear ring clearance.

+1
    Cool man thank you! I'll let you know how I make out...

+1
    Btw it has had the grey fuel lines replaced with new ones..

Thread Information