Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine compartment temperature during regular operation.

Sup fellow green brothers, has any one on here taken a temperature reading of the engine comparment abiant temperature during regular opertion, I am asking because I am thinking of doing a hull mod to let in more outside air and will lowering temps inside by 30 degrees result in any performance gains? thanks in advanced for any replies and info, I live in south Florida where its hot all the time if its 90 degrees outside I figure its atleast 130inside the engine bay.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    yes your guess its about right, I actually moved my External temperature sensor into the engine compartment just for the heck of it.
    I would recommend adding some flow rites, and installing them near the rear of the ski, you can actually feel the heat coming out of them. I once installed a ventilating blower that came off a a seadoo jetboat. But my ski cluster was having glitches, way to noisy and the temperature didnt really decreased and I do not believe you will get any gains.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    yes your guess its about right, I actually moved my External temperature sensor into the engine compartment just for the heck of it.
    I would recommend adding some flow rites, and installing them near the rear of the ski, you can actually feel the heat coming out of them. I once installed a ventilating blower that came off a a seadoo jetboat. But my ski cluster was having glitches, way to noisy and the temperature didnt really decreased and I do not believe you will get any gains.
    Hmmmm, i run the blower setup in both my skis and it works well.Matter of fact if i dont turn them on i loose around a hundred RPM give or take...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Hmmmm, i run the blower setup in both my skis and it works well.Matter of fact if i dont turn them on i loose around a hundred RPM give or take...
    One of my secrets is a 4inch blower. IMO it does keep the engine bay much cooler with the added help of a lower degree stat. For me every little bit helps when chasing every MPH.

+1
    I think Jammer1 had thread about cutting holes in the front hood to allow air in. That with some flowrites would air to flow through.

+1
    Open loop plus two flo rites and the engine bay is cool

Banned User
    +1
    I did some testing a few years ago when doing the HX setups, placing temp sensors at a few locations...1) just outside the air opening, 2) in front of the filter, and 3) down by the tank, where the OEM inlet would have been...

The temp does rise when you sit and idle, but for the most part, it only gets a few degrees above ambient (same as outside) when cruising. If the air filter/kanaflex is near one of the main openings, it is the same temp, especially during a WOT run...If you are running a rear air, no worries, temp is ambient all the time...

These temps where noticed while I had a 4" blower fan mounted in the rear (where a rear air intake would be) and it was PULLING air out of the hull. When I turned it off, air temp would rise about 8-10 degrees during cruising, but would go back to ambient at WOT...

Some may think pushing fresh air in is the better way, but its not. When pushing air IN allows it to circulate around the motor and get hot before getting sucked in to the intake...When pulling it OUT, it creates a vacuum effect, fresh air always coming in near the air intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Some may think pushing fresh air in is the better way, but its not. When pushing air IN allows it to circulate around the motor and get hot before getting sucked in to the intake...When pulling it OUT, it creates a vacuum effect, fresh air always coming in near the air intake.
    Even with the flo rites in the seat cowl???I notice with my setup,which you have seen,alot of hot air coming out the flo rites..BUT i have everything sealed off pretty well even the blower motor...I tried to make the engine bay as sealed as possible so when the blower is on it pressurizes the engine bay and causes the cooler air to push the hotter air out the flo rites...With the engine bay sealed the hotter air has nowhere to go but out he flo-rites...

+1
    Sno, any pictures of your install or where you mounted it? Wiring?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Sno, any pictures of your install or where you mounted it? Wiring?
    Ya give me a second and ill go take some..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information