+1

Thinking about buying a STX-R

What are the differences between a 2002 and 2005? I imagine there are some changes over the years. Thanks in advance.

Basically the same boat, same power house, 05 might have a larger fuel tank? Remember though, the 2 strokes are a dying breed, might consider the 4 strokes? 2 & 3 years ago, the stx-r was a popular and in-demand ski, but I can see the interest in these dropping like a lead balloon. I have 2 and I enjoy them, but they only have value to me, no re-sale or parts value anymore. Just something to think about.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    I don't think there was any difference in them between years besides 02 having the best graphics. I know the Ultra 150's got off throttle assisted steering in 03 but I don't think that was also on STX-R's. I really want an STX-R but from my findings contrary to what yankee is saying they seem to be nonexistent as far as finding them on Ebay or listed anywhere. I don't think their value is going down THAT fast plus they're very quick for what they are considering you could pay easily twice and a half as much for a ski that goes 5 mph faster stock for stock. Not to mention what it would cost if anything went wrong with a 4 stroke ski. Not trying to argue with anyone, just stating my opinion

+1
    From what I have found, the 2002 and 2003 models have a 14 gallon fuel tank and the 2004 and 2005 have a 16.4 gallon tank. There are a few for sale near me in Michigan for around $4500 for a 2005. I have owned a STX-15F and would own one again if I had full warranty for the time I own it. Did you know the crankshaft is $1000 and the cases are another $1000. I found out from experience they are very expensive to rebuild.

+1
    Thank you for clearing up the fuel tank question. While for a 2 stroke they're pretty expensive, the 1200 Trippple would've been alot cheaper to rebuild... Just a little food for thought. To the OP, I personally think the 1200 STX-R is a badass and versatile ski.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Dont know if it matters in your case but the stxr will burn at least twice as much fuel as yuor 15f. Something to think about if you are using the ski for cruising, it can become not only costly but a nuisance to have to continually think about whether youll make it to the fuel dock.

+1
    Ouch. You found the achilles heel with that one. I saw $5.17 at the pump today and thought to myself, how much do I like my Ultra 150?... In all seriousness tho I can't justify selling it for being a gas guzzler. Mainly because at my age it's just not realistically possible for me to come up with the initial cost of a 4 stroke. And like I said before, god forbid the engine needs to be rebuilt... Yikes... If you're worried about fuel economy get a 701 or 750 and deal with going slower. Just out of curiousity, how does the 15F's WOT fuel consumption compare to the STX-R? (By the way, this is all based on my "un-biased" opinion which in reality is very biased because 4 strokes are just too expensive)

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    I dont have any wot figures for the 15f, only my experience with my Ultra 150 with stock carbs compared to a supercharged RXP 215 with some mods including bigger injectors. We regularly do a 45 mile round trip cruise with some messing around in the ocean but mostly a steady cruise at around 5000 rpm to conserve fuel. We both start out with a full tank of the same size and I usually just make it back to the ramp with the light blinking, where the RXP has a half tank left. This is pretty consistent everytime we go.

Thread Information