Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coolant leak

Coolant leak

I just picked up a 2004 GTX s/c. The ski has 140 hrs, however it had a rebuilt engine with many new parts about 13 hrs. ago according to the previous owner. When I bought it the coolant was just below minimum mark, so I added some so it was in the middle of the cold position on the reservoir. I took it out for 10 min the first time, everything felt great, 7500 rpm and 64 on the dream o meter...Once it was off the water I checked everything over and the reservoir was all the way full. I thought maybe cause its hot, maybe there was a bubble, but nothing in the hull. I check the next day it was still full, so I took some out so it was half way between the lines. I then changed the oil for the first time on rebuild. Oil still looked pretty clean. I then took it out for an hour of pretty good running...When I pulled it in the check engine light beeped. I got it home and found the reservoir almost empty. I noticed coolant in the bilge mostly on the right side. I looked on the left side where the hose goes into the ride plate and it looked pretty wet there. I also noticed it had the original crappy hose clamp on that hose. Is that most likely the problem? I have read that a few times. I checked the oil after the change and it looked perfect. I ran the engine to flush it and did not notice any leaks, the engine light was not on. Engine never overheated or ran poorly. Let me know what else it could be or common problems with this version. I'm mildly mechanically inclined but anything other than changing oil, clamps, plugs I will take to a professional. Also I replaced the oil filter and O rings even though they looked good. I noticed some of that red o ring shows looking down on the canister where the notch is on the top, is this normal? I checked for any oil around the canister and it was completely dry. Please let me know of anything else I should look for. Thanks in advance for any help.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    there are many probable causes of the coolant leak, on the right side of the ski, there is the oil cooler, and in the rear right is the thermo housing, seeing coolant in the hull means that the rideplate drain plug is still holding its seal and it is not leaking there into the lake. My guess since you are not getting coolant into the oil and you are not losing it into the lake that one of your hoses has a pinhole.
    You can pressurize the coolant system with compressed air and with a mirror and a flash light find the leak. I would grab a kleenex, or with your dry hands and run it along the hoses to narrow down where its coming from. You might not see it but you might feel it.
    Also the gasket on the thermo housing might be shot. When I removed mine, the gasket was all full of crud.

I hope it's just a hose or a loose clamp. I'm paranoid because after reading a lot of the modded, SCIC owners have had head gasket problems...but then I went on to read that 185's had less of an issue with this, especially if its bone stock like mine. Does this seem right? And also those people said they wouldn't find anything in the oil either. If its the plastic fitting on the ride plate housing inside the hull can you replace just that part or does that mean a new ride plate? I also did see very little black specs by the reservoir filler neck. What could that be? Any help is appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by realdeal44 View Post
    I hope it's just a hose or a loose clamp. I'm paranoid because after reading a lot of the modded, SCIC owners have had head gasket problems...but then I went on to read that 185's had less of an issue with this, especially if its bone stock like mine. Does this seem right? And also those people said they wouldn't find anything in the oil either. If its the plastic fitting on the ride plate housing inside the hull can you replace just that part or does that mean a new ride plate? I also did see very little black specs by the reservoir filler neck. What could that be? Any help is appreciated.
    You can rule the headgasket out by taking it for a ride with the seat off and the overflow tube routed to the footwell. If the HG is gone, coolant will puke out of the overflow into the footwell after a few WOT passes. Either this or put a bottle to catch any overflow in the hull.
    If you dont do this, any coolant that could have potentially puked out, will be syphoned out by the bailer system.
    I had an ongoing problem with losing coolant. Unfortunately for me, it was my HG. But i doubt this is the case with yours.
    Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by realdeal44 View Post
    I would check the hose clamp/fittings on the ride plate. The fittings on the ride plate can be changed. The little black specs are usually from the head gasket, does not mean it is blown. Also the hoses coming off the overflow tank, where is the clear one connected to, the bottle or the neck?

The clear tube is up high on the filler neck. I just went out and looked this morning and there seems to be a lot of coolant pooling up by the ride plate fitting. Its hard to say if it's from that or its there because that's the back of the hull. What the heck could the black specs be if its that fitting?? Could it be a different gasket deteriorating other than the HG?? Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	238317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0125.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	238319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0120.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	238320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0124.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	238318

+1
    Could just be the fitting and or hose clamp on the left side.
    The black specs could just be getting in the coolant from the water jacket. But if the coolant is not leaking from somewhere and it is dumping, then it could be a head gasket.
    Try and determine if you have a leak somewhere, then go from there.

Just wanted to follow up on where my leak was coming from. I took it to a dealer just because I just got this thing and didn't trust anyone else at this point. There was a hose and clamp loose on the water pump (not sure which one) They had trouble finding the leak, did not find anything after the pressure test, then after they ran it and got it heated up they found it. I think the black specs were perhaps from the pressure cap gaskets? I asked the dealer if they ever see head gaskets out on these things and the guy said never. I'm going to ride it this weekend and either put the overflow by the foot well or rig up a bottle to catch anything just to make sure the hg is ok. It runs great so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When a shop says something is fixed I always double check things. I'll keep everyone updated.

+1
    Last time I talked to the seadoo mech here he was fussin about changing head gaskets.

+1
    Cool deal, glad they found the leak. Hope it runs ok for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information