Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea Doo Diligence - 2008 RXT

After doing a bit of research on the net, this looks like pretty much the best place to ask a few Sea Doo questions. After 11 years of running a 1996 GTX (which has recently passed on) I'm looking into purchasing a Supercharged 2008 Sea Doo RXT and am wondering if I'm walking into a maintenance mess.

So far from what I've gathered, starting with the 2008 Models the Supercharger has been upgraded from the flawed ceramic washers (which appears would cause the SC to fail and would horribly damage the engine by spewing parts) and now uses metal washers. Do these need to be upgraded any further or did Sea Doo fix the issue? Also, are there any more inherent problems choosing a SC model over a standard build engine? I've had a Sea Doo machine for a number of years, but I've never really messed with a SC so I'm somewhat concerned that they may just be added trouble in the maintenance department.

Also, the current owner has told me that there are only 25 hours on the machine, leaving me 75 until the recommended SC rebuild. Is there anything else coming up on this maintenance schedule that I should be aware of, or anything he needed to handle for this ski?

Oh also, his current asking price is right around $8,500 including a Sea Doo ICatch trailer, any inputs on his price would also be awesome.

Any and all advice/pointers are greatly appreciated.

+1
    IMO the 08s are great since they had all the bugs worked out. My buddy has an 08 and hasn't had a single issue with it...and he beats it like a rented mule. In stock form you shouldn't have any issues with the supercharger, change your oil frequent with Seadoo or JASO MA2 and you are good (search for the multiple oil threads if you want more info about oil). The Icatch trailer I would pass on it. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will chime in soon. Just my 2 cents worth.

+1
    Pass on that trailer unless you have catcher behind you when you drive it. Several reported issues with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eb87 View Post
    IMO the 08s are great since they had all the bugs worked out. My buddy has an 08 and hasn't had a single issue with it...and he beats it like a rented mule. In stock form you shouldn't have any issues with the supercharger, change your oil frequent with Seadoo or JASO MA2 and you are good (search for the multiple oil threads if you want more info about oil). The Icatch trailer I would pass on it. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will chime in soon. Just my 2 cents worth.
    +1 On everything, except the trailer. I think they are an awesome concept. If the prior owner has been running it for a while and has not had any problems with it I would take it too. I know there was one guy here that had a ski come loose from his straight from the dealer, but other than that there has not been much feed back on those things. It would be interesting to hear what other owners of these trailers think.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Pass on that trailer unless you have catcher behind you when you drive it. Several reported issues with it.
    Ok, never mind on the trailer.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    If your not mecanically and don't understand how the SC motors work then i would suggest the non-sc 155 as they are more user friendly.BUT if you are inclined! then get it and your wallet (lol) and visit the performance store as its a awesome toy store!

+1
    IMO the 08s are great since they had all the bugs worked out. .
    I purchased a NOS '08 RXT last year and have 47 trouble free hours on it. Although, I have modded it - and replaced the stock gold washers for Riva washers in the charger after grenading a couple stock washers in my two seater.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
    .... replaced the stock gold washers for Riva washers in the charger after grenading a couple stock washers in my two seater.
    Did the 07 have the updated gold washers too?

+1
    Did the 07 have the updated gold washers too?
    No, I grenaded a set of stock ceramic washers in it before I grenaded a set of stock x-charger metal washers in it.

+1
    I can gladly report, that supercharger has 50+ trouble free hours in its new home I still owe you a beer! Cheers

+1
    I can gladly report, that supercharger has 50+ trouble free hours in its new home I still owe you a beer! Cheers
    I'm glad it has gone to a good home. That was my original "ceramic spittin'" charger housing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information