Painting galvanised Trailers

Hey, i have a gal trailer that has seen better days, i want to whip it into shape, thought it would look good matt/gloss black.

is it a good idea to paint a gal trailer? is there anything else apart from a wire brush and clean that i should really do? before i prime/paint?

I am just doing mine now, using a wire knot twisty type attachment in angle grinder to clean all whist powdery residue off, it looks solid but doesnt take much to turn the top surface to powder. Usign a rust converter on any rust spots after cleaning them, then good clean and acid etch primed the whole thing. Ready for spraying hammer type paint now. Have tried scratching the primer, its pretty hard so fingers crossed.

I did strip down all the axle, suspension, took the hubs off and replaced bearings etc; I it would be to easy to just slop paint over the thing as it sits, but I want to make sure all the primers and paint get to all the parts they need to, and replacing rusty bolts etc.

I thought about black, but it gets pretty hot here in Wester Australia in the summer, and black might be a bit to hot to touch so went with silver, will notice less if it chips too.

Anthony

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by impulsive View Post
    Hey, i have a gal trailer that has seen better days, i want to whip it into shape, thought it would look good matt/gloss black.

is it a good idea to paint a gal trailer? is there anything else apart from a wire brush and clean that i should really do? before i prime/paint?
    Why not use a Zinc paint?

It's not about paint... It's about primer and all paint co. Make ACID ETICH PRIMER. You can get It from any auto body supply house. After the right prep and prime. You can spray what ever you want for a top coat..... Just make sure you sand all parts good , Then wash down all parts with acetone, or what ever cleaner that the co. Said to use.. Good luck..Enjoy your summer!

Thread Information