2009 FZR Re-Boarding Step Installation

After searching the web for hours and coming up empty, I figured I'd give back a little to the community and put a walk through of how to install a reboarding step on a 2009 FZR. I don't have pics but there's not really anything that would need to be shown in a pic as it's a pretty self explanitory and straight forward install...

This is for the Yamaha kit only... I bought it from a local dealer and it had all Yami parts in it... YMMV

1. remove the seats...

2. remove the grab rail for access to the rear of the ski...

3. remove the exhaust from the water box to the hull outlet including the 6 10mm bolts that hold the flapper and plastic exhaust tubing... it would also be a great time to do that Free Flow Exhaust mod...

4. the 2009 FZR hull has 6 markings where you'll be drilling for the step mounts... they are circles with crosshairs in them like a rifle scope... they are exactly where the step on the FZS is located... go figure...

5. drill a small starter hole in the center of each of the marks taking care to make sure the hole is dead center of the marks...

6. I used a 5/8 inch wood drill to enlarge the holes to the final size...

7. sand or cut the rough fiberglass you end up with on the inside of the hull so the interior mounting brackets will sit flush with the hull...

8. the interior brackets have adhesive/sealant on them to seal up the interior holes, just peal the tape off and stick them in their respective places... they are marked right and left... easy to figure out where they go...

9. I used the bolts in the kit and a few large sockets to "set" or "pull" the interior brackets in their positons from the outside, just use the sockets as a spacer to pull the brackets into their final positions gently so they won't fall out as you assymble the rest of the external parts.. then remove the bolts and sockets...

10. I used a small amount of clear silicone to seal around the holes where the interior bracket comes through the hull... not required but it made me feel better about them being sealed...

11. once I was satisified the interior brakcets were set and sealed, I used some wire ties to hold the step bar mounting brackets(spring loaded) in a position where I could put the top bolts in without the step being in the way...

12. place the included wedges, bolts, and step bar in position and start, then snug the bolts... and as always, if something binds or is difficult, stop and figure out why...

13. double check and make sure everything looks lined up and final tighten the bolts... there's no torque value given so I just used the calibrated elbow and set them to what I thought was good...

14. dive back inside the ski and reinstall the exhaust, grab handle, and seats and head to the ramp to leak test...

I sat with the ski in the water for about 20 minutes and I didn't have any leakage but I'll re-check it the next outting...

Good Luck, and I hope this helps... if there's anything else you folks would like to know ask away...

+1
    Thx! Just to add from manual pg. 8-50, torque to 11.1 ft-lbs and Loctite 271 (red)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step-1.gif 
Views:	246 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	273483

+1
    Seeing this makes me glad ours came with the boarding steps; we use them all the time.

+1
    One other thing you may want to do is crazy glue the little rubber tubing bumpers shut. When the bar is in the full down position, it can make them fall off. Take some vise grips (or any other locking pliers) and after you put some crazy glue on the slit, use the pliers to squeeze it together. You can take the pliers off in a couple hours to make sure it sticks.

+1
    One other thing you may want to do is crazy glue the little rubber tubing bumpers shut. When the bar is in the full down position, it can make them fall off. Take some vise grips (or any other locking pliers) and after you put some crazy glue on the slit, use the pliers to squeeze it together. You can take the pliers off in a couple hours to make sure it sticks.

+1

Stockers will fall right off unless siliconed on or glued shut. When you do lose them, you can replace with vacuum tubing. Using a spiral slit, rather than a straight slit, will keep the replacement tubing from falling off as easily.

Thread Information