Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Considering getting a 96 xp800... I'm a polaris guy who want's to try something new!

Ok, so locally there's a great shape 96 xp 800 that's for sale.. for a GREAT deal I think.. The owner says, he has listed it twice and no-body bought it on ebay. ( I think because it's the winter months maybe...) anyway, he will let it go with the trailer for $1300. There is one slight problem, and I quote:

"This ski runs great and is very fast. But it does have an electrical problem. It will bog down on you out of no where about every 5- 10 minutes. But only for a second and then right back to normal. I dont really know exactly what it is."

Can anybody shed any light on what this could be... sounds like a simple fix to me if it's only for a second.. I emailed him asking how sure he was that it was electrical. Of course, I put a new CDI and everything in my 96 polaris sl780.. I'm hoping seadoo's are as easy or easier to work on...

What do you guys think? I think I can fix it personally, would like to hear other's input on it's problem and what you think about it..

I have done a little reading.. sounds like this doo will be faster than my polaris sl780.. what do you guys think? I hear it's pretty easy to get one of these to go a little over 60? It already has aftermarket flame arrestors and a primer kit btw.

I'm gonna go look at it tommorrow.. I still am undecided, I love my polaris but I would like a faster lighter boat. He lives on the lake, so I WILL take it on a lake test of course!

Thanks everyone!
    Jared

+1
    The 1996 XP is a great ski and most of the common problems are well documented. It is worth buying if you are willing to put a little money into it and a little bit of work.

The main things to check, clear or replace right away are:

Internal carb filters - check/replace
    Fuel line - replace
    Rave valves - Clean

Here is a thread that shows a list of many things that need to be checked when having problems:

http://www.sea-doo.net/board/thread....d=85188#849874

Owner quotes that the carbs were rebuilt and the filter's cleaned in 06 and that it got new plugs and wires in 06...

+1
    There is a good chance it is the rectifier. Do a search on any of the boards to see how common this is. I keep a spare one in my tool box. Easy way to test it is to open up the front electrical box and unplug the red wire going to the rectifier. If that solves your problem, replace the rectifier.

Don't ride for too long and have a good battery since you won't be getting any recharge to your battery.

Is it easy to replace? Can I buy your spare, lol!

I know for polaris, it's the stator that charges the battery, VERY hard to replace it, while the motor is in the ski!

Do you have a link to this thread you speak of?

As for spending a little on it, well.. I'll have to catch myself up after I buy it if I'm not going to sell my loved polaris which I do not think I will (I'm only a college student!) But sure I would love to mod.. I probably spent more on mods for the polaris then this whole ski costs! What can be done for cheap performance gains with this one? Are there inexpensive pipe swaps/cdi/etc? I know for my polaris, there's one mod that will give you 600+rpms.. involving switching out the wetpipe with an earlier drypipe, plus a CDI from a pro model, plus a 12/17 impeller... Just curious as to what I can expect as far as top speed etc... don't want to spend a fortune of course Cheapest first!

Jared

+1
    The rectifier is held in place with two bolts. There are four wires attached to it. 1 red and 3 yellow. It does not matter which yellows are attached to each other. The seadoo also has a stator, I can't remember exactly what the rectifier does. My ski has flame arresters, nozzles, intake grate and pump wedge and does 60 mph. All these parts come up for sales used at some time or other.

I got rid of my Polaris SL900 in favor of my 95 XP800, best move I ever did

Instead of spending $ fixing it, I'm finally getting to mod a ski.

I have a Factory Pipe Spec 1 on the way for it

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    From the symptoms he describes it is the rectifier. $40 part.

If you don't buy it give me second dibs!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    From the symptoms he describes it is the rectifier. $40 part.

If you don't buy it give me second dibs!

Robert

Ok, drove it today for a little while, what he describes it isn't really exactly like that.. it's kind of like a "limp" mode... like the ski is going into limp mode I don't know what sea doo calls it, but limp home mode is what polaris calls it... it is hitting what seems like a pre designed early rev limiter. The trim DOES NOT work... he says that the if you tap the trim switch, it will work... and it does, but inevitably it goes back... could the trim function have something to do? What should I test first? I have 24 hours to return it for a full refund... so... let's get those ideas flowing... if it's going to be something complicated to fix, then I'm not sure i want to tackle it, but as of now technically I own it. What could it be guys!?

Fuel gauge is working, speedometer is working... ski starts right up!

Jared

+1
    Try the rectifier fix. Disconnect the red wire and take it for a ride.

After that if the problem is not fixed, replace the plugs and trim back the plug wires on both ends. Do yourself a favor and buy a spare clip that holds the plug wires into the ignition coil(rear black box).

Get those carbs open as quick as possible to confirm the filters have been replaced.

The VTS housings are known for failing. Check the fuse in the rear electical box. When you do replace the housing, inspect the rubber boot where the trim arm goes through the hull.

Go back and read the link that I posted for common fixes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information