How Much Does Weight Matter?

Hi all, just took my 10' Rxtx out this weekend and managed to hit 68mph or 110kmh (im assuming its accurate as the ski has built in GPS) with me and someone else both weighing in the close vicinity of 75kg. Unfortunately the river turned to crap not long after and i wasnt able to do a run by myself. So my question is how much does weight matter with top speed and holeshot? As a friend of mine has an RXT IS which as im sure you know weighs another 50kg due to suspension. Should i be able to achieve higher top speed and quicker acceleration than him? or does weight not really come into play unless more mods are done to actually use the 260hp effieciently?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    weight allways matters..if you have identical skis ..and one is 200 lbs lighter t will out accelerat the heavier one every time...

OK acceleration definitely makes sense but top speed should be affected as well. Does a stock RXTX do more than 68mph? im in Australia so am not sure whether we get the speed limited version or what.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fpvxr6 View Post
    OK acceleration definitely makes sense but top speed should be affected as well. Does a stock RXTX do more than 68mph? im in Australia so am not sure whether we get the speed limited version or what.
    Hello fellow Aussie. Weight will make a big difference! If you are pulling 68 with a passenger you could probably expect another 1.5mph without them.. Top speed is probably less affected than acceleration. you will really notice the difference in acceleration without the passenger and I even notice a significant difference between a full tank of fuel to an empty tank.

ill be happy with it stock if i can get over 70mph, wellllll maybe for a little while Ill just have to test it out again this weekend, only problem is weather doesnt look ideal

+1
    How many hours on the ski? I suspect your LESS than 10 hours, it is not broken in yet and the ECU limits rpm in stages, until about 7-10 hours depending on how hard you run the ski!

The GPS in the ski, rounds UP 0.5-2 mph over reality!!!!!! Get a handheld GPS for accurate speeds. I know its BS - BRP wants you to think your going faster than you are!!!!! My handheld Garmin says 74 and the ski says 76.........

Once broken in, most "RS" International X 260's run 72 mph pure stock, 73-74 mph with minor mods such as 4" air up front and tweeked impeller pitching.

Weight matters a lot, 50 pounds of rider weight difference = 1 mph by my testing. So, down around 2-3 bars fuel remaining, you will see your top speeds.

Yes, you SHOULD out run him if you both have about the same body weight!

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by fpvxr6 View Post
    So my question is how much does weight matter with top speed and holeshot?
    ...or does weight not really come into play unless more mods are done?
    Weight = HP

Had the 10 hr service done last week. Hmmm wasnt exactly glass water when i tested it and my mate weighs 150-160lbs so it looks like it seems to be a decent speed considering......will have to test it again and again and just a few more times Heh the IS owner is bigger than me but has been smoking me while ive been taking it easier on WOT during break in. Now though.......

+1
    friend and i did this test with a rxt-x

he ways 40kg heavier then me... we swapped and tested with gps runs...

same ski...

conclusion, for every 10kg, it slows you down 0.1mph

same ski, same conditions... food for thought...

+1
    My bud is 125 + lbs lighter than me and is 1.5 to 2 mph faster than me on every ski. RXP, RXT, RXT-X 260, Ultra 260. He is more aerodynamic!

Thread Information