Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Seadoo XP question?

so i was out riding yesterday and when i left the docks my ski was acting like it was bogging down but slowly it eventually it got up to speed and would run normal when i had i floored but as soon as i would slow down it would bog down, well..... i beached it in a cove and couldnt get it started when i was leaving, so..... i killed the battery, I threw the battery charger on it and after a 24 hour charge the starter would turn the motor like once and then the starter would just wined??? can anyone please give me any clues, did i suck something up or did i blow my starter?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Need a little more info...did it sound like it was turning the R's and going nowhere or was it really bogging like it was running out of fuel? how much fuel did you have onboard? your battery is most likely weak. these skis need a full 12.5v otherwise it wont start. the starter sounds like it needs to be tapped with a hammer or something to get it to engage. sounds like the bendix is jammed.
    on to other questions..

does it have the gray fuel lines? cleaned the rave valves? changed out the main ground wire? cleaned the fuel selector? have you rebuilt the carbs? have you checked the wear ring for excessive clearance?

I like your style lol, i'am just getting into the seadoo thing haha, but i meet a guy alex_baker on the water and he informed about the site, thats why i'm here, i really dont know anything about them but i have been wrenching on cars for years so i'm not completely in the dark. anyways

yes it was acting like i was not getting any fuel but eventually it went up and would run fine as long as i was floored

i bought the seadoo from a local mechanic he told me that he went threw the whole engine and more, i mean everything in there look brand new, and i can tell if its fresh hoses or plastic, ect... there are no grey hoses all black, i would be more than glad to post any pics if you needed them?

oh and i have been running the seadoo for about a month and have had no problems what so ever, other than when i just brought it out from being winterized, i figured that was normal.

+1
    I would start by reading all the stickies at the top of this section. there you will find a lot of how tos and general maintenance practices. I would pull the carbs and inspect the carb screens. I also think that your needle and seats are sticking and need replaced since you said you couldnt get it started again. I think that your problems are definitly fuel related.

wow i havent been on here all winter , but spring is finally here! ...welcome to the forum! i would still pull the carbs and check the internal filters and pull the fuel selector and make sure that isnt plugged up with the notorious seadoo green fuel line gunk.

ya i'm gonna pull it out of the water today and do a couple things to,we have a greenhulk ride this weekend and i wanna get it running lol, but i was thinking my starter was toast. I pulled my spark plugs maybe thinking there was water in the motor and my starter seems to be fine when the plugs are out the engine will continually turn over, and i'm pretty positive that the fuel is making it all the way to the plugs, cause when i had the spark plugs out i would hold the throttle down and fuel and oil would start to wet the spark plug holes, put the spark plugs back in and it did the same thing, engine would turn over like once and then the starter would just wined, any clues on that ???

so i pulled it out of the water, and sob fired right up ??? i don't understand

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leimkuhler View Post
    so i pulled it out of the water, and sob fired right up ??? i don't understand
    Im thinking that you have a weak battery or a bad ground. being out of water the motor has no resistance from the prop. ie water. so im leaning to one or both of the two

thank you i'll check it out

+1
    Glad to here it's goin. Test the bat... You may need a new one. I'll be seeing you this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information