Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1997 SL 1050 build

This is my first post so I'll tell the story. It's my first ski and I bought it last year with a fresh top end and some recent wiring work done by a shop in mass. well I rode it around for a while, ran AWESOME. but my dad accidentally hydrolocked it in the ocean. So I ignored it until this spring, then I got motivated and tore the motor out and started the build. It's most likely getting a rebuilt engine from SBT as well as a new starter. I decided that if I'm taking the time to swap the engine I'm going to do it the way I want the ski to be, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

here's the ski sitting in it's current home

here's the inside of the hull with the motor still in it

here's the engine compartment currently - painted with rattlecan truck bedliner.

the color all the piping and the head covers and cooling rail are.

last but not least; the reason for the build.

the build is slow due to lack of funds, my schedule (work 30 hours a week, full time college student), and my lack of motivation. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some motivation to get it in the water, especially since it's getting warm out now..
    so if you have any input or tips about reassembly just let me know. I'm only concerned about the rear of the engine and that cover that the linkages all mount to, because it's going to be a PITA to put that back together.

thanks for looking, Tim

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Would this be an incentive?

Northeast Gathering is a bunch of Polaris and friends PWC enthusiasts get together. Almost in your back yard

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'd like to welcome you to the Hulk also.

Might I suggest you contact Jay at Sharp's Marine in oswego NY VS. sending your engine to SBT?

If you want any type of performance from your ski, SBT is not the route you want to go. If you're just looking for as cheap as possible to get you back on the water they might be for you.

thanks for the link K447! definitely an incentive!
    as for the engine the 1050 had plenty of nut before with just a stock engine, and I am on a very tight budget, SBT seems to have a good reputation and their engines all come with warranties. I'm just looking to have a reliable ski that I can have some fun on!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM21 View Post
    ... SBT seems to have a good reputation and their engines all come with warranties.

I'm just looking to have a reliable ski ...
    You sure about that reputation thing?

Don't confuse the warranty length with the product quality. Nor is warranty the same thing as reliability.

Banned User
    +1
    You will probably find that you can rebuild it yourself for roughly the same cost as an SBT engine. THen you can provide all the attention to detail that you want, and know that you have a good quality rebuild. If you look around this site, There are plenty of mixed reviews on the SBT engines. I have no personal experience with them, but the mixed reviews tend to scare me. Having rebuilt 2 of these engines myself, its not that difficult to do, and its quite the satisfying experience when its all done. You will find that there is plenty of great help and advice here, and you will get all of your questions answered with good solid information. Like Xlint suggested, get in touch with Jay at Sharp's and he will steer you in the right direction. I just rebuilt a 900, which is almost the same engine you have, for $800. I installed a used crank in mine, however with a good quality rebuilt crank you could still do it for around $1000, which is the same price as an SBT engine, and it won't cost you hundreds for shipping on top of that. And you will end up with a good rebuild with high quality parts for that price.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Post up what you need and i may be able to help... My guess Sharps is the way to go..

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    stock rebuild,carbon tech light tension reed petals,jet works valve,6 vane stator,650 intake grate,and maybe a ride plate depending on the water conditions you ride.leave it that way.it'll kick butt for the dollars spent

+1
    Seems to me in just a few hours drive you can have a running 1050 engine, check this out:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...all-for-a-deal

Good luck,
    lntk

love the 97 sl1050 It was the first ski I took a ride on. Fell in love with polaris ever since

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information