Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 RXP Project

+1

05 RXP Project

Ok, this is Chad's IBADTON's ski and we began to tear it down tonight since he had a slightly blown head gasket and the "bad" valves. He ordered new stock valves, updated flywheel bolts, new head bolts and stretch bolts, the 08 oiler mod pieces and PTO and head gaskets etc.

He is sending off the head to Speedfreeks tomorrow for decking along with the installation of the new valves and a valve job etc. He is also having his cam lightened and the valves lightened.

The ski has a Riva ECU, 50's, RRFPR, ET 68/140LE Charger and AFR and boost gauge equipped. He was running 81.5 at around 8500 with leaky valves. We will be doing the above mods and converting to Fizzle open loop more than likely and he is also going to get a bellow band etc. Anything else I need to tell him to get while we have things apart?? Once its back together and running good he is going to convert over to a Les 9.2 ECU. The SKI has 200 Hours on it.

Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0051.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	238428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	238429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0056.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	238427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	238426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	238425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	238424  

+1
    Considering the Rpm he will be doing i would have the block decked for a good finish and check bottom end bearings while you are there. I would also have bottom end balanced and maybe look at new rings as will be making some good boost with that charger and 9200rpm.A new chain wouldn"t hurt either but it all depends how much coin he wants to spend!!!!

+1
    definately upgrade to the Rotax racing oil pressure jet while the head is off. Maybe get the cam , and gear lightened as well??

+1
    He is getting the cam and valves lightened but he does not want to open the bottom now unless compression ends up being low. What makes the rotax oil jet superior?

The Rotax oiler jet increases oil flow to the valve train. I would have the oil return passages in the head enlarged also for better oil return to the case. You might look into porting the head while it's out. If you are planning on running higher boost in the future...above 14 pounds along with an aftermarket cam, just get the head milled slightly to make sure it's flat. If you're not planning on running over 14# and may run a cam in the future you could have the head decked .030 for more compression and would need the longer cam adjuster.

At 200 hours with the current mods I would tear the engine down and do new bearings, pistons with rings, oil pumps, cam chain, etc. All will be likely be worn and approaching wear limits. You're far enough along now, it will only take another couple hours to pull the motor and tear it down.

Mark

+1
    We are pulling the motor anyway for the oil jet and flywheel bolt update. The head will be decked etc.

+1
    The internals look new. I know looks don't mean shit. Ski still had original valves+flywheel bolts. Have run stage 1+ from 10 hrs went stage 3 at 150 hrs ski has 240 hrs on it now with only a blown head gasket. Been a dam good ski

+1
    Still time to do the bottom end. The timing chain would be my biggest concern. Even if EVERYTHING else was perfect down there I would want to do it with that many hours.

+1
    Do I have 2 do anything diffrent 2 change timing chains ?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper300 View Post
    Considering the Rpm he will be doing i would have the block decked for a good finish and check bottom end bearings while you are there....will be making some good boost with that charger and 9200rpm.A new chain wouldn"t hurt either.
    ^I agree^
    It really SUCKS to bite that much bullet all at once, but as mentioned "while you're that far in it...". The absolute worst is that you spend all the money you're already planning to spend, and then you haul ass for another 50hrs+ and suddenly "Kaboom!" Now you need to repair the bottom AND replace everything you just spent all that money on to start with.

Im in the same exact boat with my supra. Been overdue for a turbo/fuel/tuning upgrade ($10-12K right there).....1994 Block only has 79K miles @ only 425ish HP. Pretty young for an over-built toyota block such as the supra. Good thing I didnt just leap into the turbo upgrade!......the bottom decided to make a noise on my last lap around the neighborhood - 4wks of sitting, it's since decided to seize on me. Wont spin over one bit That could have been a very huge waste of $10-12K!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information