New 2008 GP1300R

A dealer near me has a new 2008 GP1300R for about $7,600.

I had a few questions for those familiar with the machine;

1) Does a 2008 model that is still brand new trouble anyone? Is this common?

2) How does the price stack up? There's another dealer pushing Kawasaki's SPX15-F 2011 Model for $8,100 - but I'm not a huge fan of the bigger machines.

3) Is anyone aware of any inherent issues they want to share?

Thanks again for all of the help.

My ski always works sometimes... griffin55's Avatar
    +1
    1. 2008 was the last year for the GPRs, so you won't find anything newer. Some dealerships probably still have some in stock.

2. My opinion is that price depends on where you live and how well you negotiate. If I remember right, a friend of mine (we7317) got his almost 2 years ago in the low $7,000's. You can PM him if you want more info.

3. Best place to start is the sticky posts in the 2-stroke forum. If you're not a heavy modder, look into a D-plate and some of the safety mods. Spend some time here and read, read, read.

My friend has been bone stock for almost 2 seasons with the '08 and has had no issues. He keeps up with maintenance though as everyone should.

+1

Thumbs up 08 gpr

i found one last year when i was looking to buy another gpr & it was a really good price but it was just to dam far away but there nothing wrong with finding a leftover that old, they will still give you the standerd warranty & you can also still get the extended warranty for it. just go there with cash in hand & they should work with ya

hope this helps
    dan

I'll have to push them on the price, not as used to dealing with PWC dealers so I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room they give.

Any input to the 2011 STX-F comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckeye View Post
    I'll have to push them on the price, not as used to dealing with PWC dealers so I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room they give.

Any input to the 2011 STX-F comparison?
    that`s not a bad price, 2k off of MSRP. if it was stored properly you shouldn`t have any issues. If you plan on leaving it stock, get the warranty and if something should happen your covered...

we have seen some good deals on the left over kawi 15F`s for 7600 at this past springs boat show...
    you have to ask yourself: at this day and age, do you really want to stay with 2 strokes. IMHO, unless the dealer gave you a smokin deal with trailer, I`d go for the kawi 4 stroke hands down...

I'll be going to take a look at the GPR this Friday. I just can't seem to get as excited for the bigger skis handling/jumping.

Unless the GPR is seriously lacking in the speed department compared to these newer machines (GTX etc), it looks like my style. But from what I've read on the forum it seems like they stack up pretty well.

Anyway, my experience has ever been buying used and getting a nice test ride in. Is there anything you can do at the dealer to make sure the machine isn't busted? Can they even run some water to get the things started?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuckeye View Post
    I'll be going to take a look at the GPR this Friday. I just can't seem to get as excited for the bigger skis handling/jumping.

Unless the GPR is seriously lacking in the speed department compared to these newer machines (GTX etc), it looks like my style. But from what I've read on the forum it seems like they stack up pretty well.

Anyway, my experience has ever been buying used and getting a nice test ride in. Is there anything you can do at the dealer to make sure the machine isn't busted? Can they even run some water to get the things started?
    Why would it be busted if it's new? Plus you still will have the factory warranty in case. I would get it in a heartbeat if I had $7600. Last year of a dieing breed. Just the RXP is left in the performance 2 seater department.

Yes the dealer should fire it up for you when you take delivery. Just don't get crazy and start revving it because remember you have to break in the motor. A stock GP1300r does 63-64 MPH. Very respectable in my opinion.

I was all set on a gpr 1300r myself untill i started researchin the VXR's all around just a great ski.Im glad I went with the VXR

Thread Information