Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lots of cavitation; how to seal pump shoe

I took the gp1200r converted to a 1300r out for the third time with the stock intake grate installed because the other was cavitating a bit and it is cavitating like crazy. After doing some research it seems I should probably seal the pump shoe. Being totally new to jet skis as of last year, I don't really know what that means. During my search, all related info says I need to do it but I can find little that tells me how to do it. I see the kits out there but several of the post say i can do it with silicone and save money.

So the questions is, How do I do it?

anyone got any pics?

You don't want to use silicone. It will never fully cure and will blow out. I've done it both ways, using the pump seal kit and using a product called amazing casting resin available at hobby lobby or Michaels arts and crafts. If you're on a tight budget like I was the DIY kit will save you $50 but is more time consuming. Both the Riva PPK and the DIY kit work great but If I had it to do over again I would just get 2 PPK's. The time spent mixing the resin and hardener wasn't worth the savings. Which ever you decide sealing the pump shoe is a must. My 2000 GPR cavitated worse than any ski I've ever ridden and now has zero cavitation and takes off like a rocket.

Does the pump shoe come off without having to remove anything else? My ski is being stored at a family members so was thinking of going there to grab the shoe and fill it while the weather is shitty around here still.

Pulled her off today. Do you guys fill the holes that mount up against the hull just for the sake of filling them? I don't see how you can get cavitation through them?

+1
    yeah most people just fill those too. make sure you use 5200 fast cure

+1
    Ive noticed this a little on my buddies gp1200 yesterday, the impeller and wear ring looks ok, so can sealing up anything on this ski help?

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by venomous View Post
    Pulled her off today. Do you guys fill the holes that mount up against the hull just for the sake of filling them? I don't see how you can get cavitation through them?
    you can fill them and you will gain +1mph by doing so but you will never get your shoe out again if you do so.

when you seal the shoe in, make sure you do it correct as per the instructions WFO posted because if it hangs to low you will loose a lot of speed.

but if done with the kit the shoe comes off easily later right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information