+1

Oily stuff in the hull

Hey guys, I noticed some oily junk in the very bottom of my hull today after riding. It is only in the very back underneath the bilge pump area. When i first saw it, it looked like brown water. I was in the Columbia river all day and it is clean.

I have 22 hours on the ticker, but had done my last service at 14. The last time i was out(after my 14 hr. service) everything was good. I always see a tiny bit of water in that same place, but it has always been nice and clean and i soak it up with an old towel. Today it was nasty and smelled and felt like oil. And it wasnt a lot. About the same amount of fluid as i see when there is water after riding. So little that the bilge wont pick it up.

I checked the oil level and it is right where it was this morning before going out. I felt around under the engine as best i could and nothing. Im going to clean it all up and hopefully i never see it again. Unlikely it is some weird random act of god, so i am a bit nervous. I searched around but havent seen anything like it.

Anyone have a clue?

+1
    Here's a couple of pics. Not sure if it will help... You can see the brown stuff next to the red bilge pump...

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I'd be very tempted to leave it in there and take it over to the dealer. That looks like a pretty good leak from the pics.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    I'd be very tempted to leave it in there and take it over to the dealer. That looks like a pretty good leak from the pics.
    +1

+1
    Heh, well... i cleaned it all up. I suppose i should have left it in there, but its gonna be a while before i have time to get it to the dealer and i didnt want it sitting in there for the next couple to three weeks. I can not find where it could be coming from. The oil level hasnt changed either. So where is it coming from? Heh... its definately engine oil though, prolly just not enough to make the level come down on the dip stick...

Sheesh! 2 problems with a brand new Yami? Seriously... WTF?!?!?!

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Well I'm sure you realize it had to come from some were. If you go out riding, watch that oil level closely and often. A small leak can erupt into a gusher in no time at all. 3 qts isnt much

+1
    i know you just did a service
    but did you replace the oil filter
    they are known to corrode and leak on the fx ho's, pin hole to start with then they get worse
    or it may be a little loose
    also check the oil catch can there may a bit of overflow

kev

+1
    It's possible they spilled a small amount of oil during the last service from the old filter or while refilling. I'm sure they'd have wiped up what they could see, but some may have run down under the engine and pooled around the two rubber "bumpers" that sit beneath the oil pan. You may not have seen it near the bilge after the initial post-service ride if you never got enough water in the hull to mix w/ the pooled oil. You could try pouring a pitcher of hot water into the hull just in front of the engine then tipping the ski back just far enough to cause the water to run back to the bilge area. You should be able to see an oil slick if there's still oil remaining pooled around the bumpers.

I had a similar problem after venting my case last year and spraying a huge amount of oil into the hull. There are some small holes between the inner and outer hull where oil/water can seep in and collect. Even after pulling the engine and thoroughly cleaning all parts of the hull I could get to, I still had oil/water mix pooling on both side of the pump tunnel after a ride. My solution was to squirt a few tablespoons of Dawn dish soap under the engine and a little more in the area on either side of the pump tunnel you show in your pics. Water from riding mixed w/ the soap and seeped down into those areas I couldn't see or reach. Had to repeat that over a few rides, but it completely eliminated the oil slick problem.

+1
    Thanks for the responses so far guys.

I did my own service on it as i was a mechanic for so many years in the past. I am meticulous!

I did check everything i touched. The oil filter is good and tight and nothing is on or around it. I used a couple of rags to catch the little bit of oil that came out when i took it off so there is no oil underneath it. I even felt around down there and feel nothing. I did not check the oil catch can as i didnt even know where that is... or that i even had one.. doh!

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    The bilge pump runs all the time on these? Then the oil/water emulsion could have been mixed so well by that at a low bilge level. I don't think that sloshing around alone would have mixed it so well.

Thread Information