Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

+1

Is this normal?

I noticed my 250X valve cover is so hot after riding for 10 miles or so that I cannot touch it. Is this normal? Has anyone done cooling system mods to lower engine temp, and does it improve performance? Thanks guys!

I think the general consensus is that the engine runs too cool as it is which is why we see issues like GIO. I don't think what you are seeing is unusual. Have you had any other issues with the ski?

+1
    Well I had or should I say have an issue...the low oil light came on last season and I was shocked to find it was 4 quarts low on oil....so I changed the oil and filter to Castrol "Hi milage" 20W50....otherwise no other issues. It has 67 hours on it.

The prop clearance got too big at .023" and it started cavitating, Dave at Impros fixed that and added his speed mod to it as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsauto2 View Post
    Well I had or should I say have an issue...the low oil light came on last season and I was shocked to find it was 4 quarts low on oil....so I changed the oil and filter to Castrol "Hi milage" 20W50....otherwise no other issues. It has 67 hours on it.

The prop clearance got too big at .023" and it started cavitating, Dave at Impros fixed that and added his speed mod to it as well.
    Wow, 4 quarts low would basically be empty! As far as the engine temp, I don't think you want to go colder and a hot valvecover is normal on any engine.

4 qts low?
    I'm surprised your engine is still running. You'd better do some diagnose like compression check, leak down test, etc to make sure engine is OK. Also, I think you have a cooling issue as well and it is running way too hot.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    if i had to guess it was probably a filter that was not installed properly or the hose on the "catch can" both are pretty simple things that dump a ton of oil. as far as the valve cover goes, thats not uncommon, my 12f gets to hot to touch so with double the hp i would expect the 250 to do the same.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    if i had to guess it was probably a filter that was not installed properly or the hose on the "catch can" both are pretty simple things that dump a ton of oil. as far as the valve cover goes, thats not uncommon, my 12f gets to hot to touch so with double the hp i would expect the 250 to do the same.

Sean

No oil mess anywhere, catch can hoses are ok. Cylinder #2 plug is dark and there is blue smoke out the exhaust when I blow the water out on the ramp. Cylinder 2 was 10 psi lower than the others in 2008 when I last checked, so there is a problem there. I'm just gonna feed it oil and ride it, saving up for a new Ultra300 hopefully some day...

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like either a bad ring or a valve about to drop, I would really get it looked at, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT just ignore it.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Robsauto2 View Post
    Cylinder #2 plug is dark and there is blue smoke out the exhaust... Cylinder 2 was 10 psi lower than the others
    Just like what I thought... low compression. Either the shot rings/piston on the #2 hole is letting excessive blow-by to occur and pressurizing the crankcase. The excess pressure in the crankcase dumps engine oil into the intake air tract (more oil is coming into the catch can than what it can drain) and it is getting burnt. A complete round trip. That explains why #2 plug is dark and blue smoke from the exhaust. If you open the side panel of the i/c at the inlet side, you would find egnine oil there. The good news is that your s/c will last really long time since it's been throughly lubricated with the engine oil. Don't keep riding the ski. If the rod bearring seizes and rod breaks the piston will hit the head/valves, a catstrophic damage needing a complete engine rebuild. It gets very expensive, $5000+ for parts alone. Now all you may need is just a piston and a set of rings for less than $100 for both.

+1
    OK, will do, thanks for the advise guys. I will bring home my leak down tester and check it out, I suspect the rings in # 2 are going to be some of the problem. I found no oil in the intake tract....it sure runs good for a broken ski...best speed ever Sunday...but you know what they say, they always run best just before they blow up!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information