Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

polaris genesis water leak and limp mode help

i have a 2000 genesis and it seems to be leaking water? and it acts like it goes in limp mode wont rev past 5000 rpm and wont go past 35 or 40 mph and after idling in water for a bit it seems to get out but motor feels cool no over heating. do u think could be a bad exhaust sensor? maybe i could by pass it? i think i fixed wate rleak think it was a leaking exhaust hose. and info or help will help thanks again

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

If it is still leaking water then one good method of finding the problem is to strap it to the trailer (front AND rear) and back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged.

Take the seat off and look around for leaks. If none found then start the engine while still strapped to the trailer. Now you can monitor the area inside the hull until you find the problem. Some leaks only happen when you apply throttle, which you can do while strapped to the trailer. Just make sure it is well restrained at the bow, and that there is no debris or rocks under the hull that could get sucked into the jet pump.

Low engine power could be a bunch of possibilities. Start by checking engine compression. Are you using the correct spark plugs?

Is there a warning message on the display, like Check Engine, Reverse, or HOT?
    Last edited by K447; 05-02-2013 at 09:31 AM.

well i checked the compression 125 in each cylinder new plus correct to factory specs. and i backed it in the water days ago while on trailor and it gets a lil water in but not much. no where near what it was and that was afte ri tightened the exhaust clamps. and the driveshaft seal or whatever dont seem to be leaking so if it still is leaking then its gotta be the speedo sensor thing. and it dont show hot or anything but i was gonna pull the cooling rail off to check that ball and the thermostat and see if thats all good due to it may be a overheating problem it dont do it very often, cuz when it runs liek it should does 54 mph so i dont think its a mechanical issue i just didnt know if due to the water in th ehull if it was throwing it in limp mode. and i couldnt see any leaks before so im kinda stumped what all thing would u recommend checking? already tightened all the exhaust clamps checked drain plugs and checked the seals

*plugs sorry

+1
    Has it leaked again since you tightened the exhaust clamps?

If it is still leaking, did you run the engine while it was backed down the ramp?

Is this Genesis fuel injected or carburetor?

Let me review the list of symptoms;
    Runs fine sometimes at about 54mph
    When it slows down you also find water in the hull. How much water? Up to the drive shaft?
    The MFI display does not show a red warning lamp or message.

What maximum RPM does it reach when the problem is happening?

its carbed. well i tightened exhaust clamps put it in water and before i started it after few minutes looked as to have a lil bit of water just a lil tho like a inch or 2. before it was so bad a fter 20 mnutes or so of riding it would be all the way to the oil mixer on stator cover. and when ever it gets boggy (or mimp mode) it reaches 4500-5000 rpms wont go past it even acts sluggish out of the hole. but after letting it set and pumpin wate rout would run every bit of 50+ mph. and im pretty sure it didnt say nething on the warning lamp.

+1
    2 inches of water sloshing around in the hull is a lot of water, not a little. Especially after only a few minutes. You have a significant leak in there somewhere, which needs fixing before you go riding.

Even after riding all day you should not have 2 inches of water in there.

When the water gets up to or above the spinning drive shaft the water then gets slung around and sprayed all over the engine compartment. Some of that water spray gets sucked into the engine air intake, which messes up combustion.

Limp mode is a very specific condition, where the CDI limits RPM to a specific maximum. 5000 RPM is well above the RPM limit for limp mode.

well with it on the ramp its all at the back. but ya i would prefer no water. i just dont know where to start gues sim gonna double check all hoses and clamps. and just triple inspect everything. idk and i have a virage tx also ive been blowing up the internet trying to find a cooling rail mod to cool it better due to the front piston being burned up i was gonna do that to both ski's but cant find a how to on it. im gonna double check everything just wasnt sure if the water leaking was a common problem

+1
    Look under the drive shaft for leaks. Make sure the speedometer pitot hose is connected. Use a small mirror or digital camera on close-up mode to see under there.

The stock cooling for the red domestic engine should be plenty, as long as there are no clogs, stuck thermostat or hose problems.

If you burned a piston the common cause is a carburetor problem. What does the burned piston look like? Photo?

good news

i got to double checking coolant hoses and the coolant hose that runs from the rear to the exhaust had a rubbed spot in it i could put my finger in. so ill fix that before the weekend. and im gonna just go over all the hoses again to be sure they are tight and ill try and post a pic of that pistin or whats left of it so u can tell me what i should do to prevent this form happening again. i bought the virage tx with the piston already blown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information