Thread: Starts and dies

Unhappy Starts and dies

Well, today the motor was started for the first time.

...and then it immediately dies. Sound familiar?

Possible that the ECU was not flashed for Cams gears on S3 and ID injectors?

It has fuel at 52psi no problem and it has spark since it does start (although just briefly).

Thoughts.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    any codes David.

+1
    I had the same problem with my R2 reflash. I installed it with the powershot. Although, i'm not supposed to need it with the B-1 wheel. I just had it set on the default settings. The ski ran fine for 2 hours with the exception of a little bog at idle with light throttle.

Got back on land tried to blow the water out, The ski would stall before it returned to idle. I disconnected the Powershot and the ski would try to start and instantly stall out. I put my stock ECU in w/o powershot and the ski ran fine. Couldn't rev it much with the B-1 w/o the PS. I hooked the PS up and ran the ski for 60 miles, it ran great, with the exception of hitting the limiter since the prop is now tailored to the reflash at 14/22.

So, that tells me the the reflash either didn't have a fuel map written into it, or there wasn't a signal to injectors and that the PS was acting as the signal. I just got my ECU back from R&D today. They changed it up to the R3. I haven't installed it yet. But, when i do it will be without the PS to make sure the ECU is doing it's job with the fueling.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    any codes David.
    Just a 01 Normal

Brand new plugs are black after a about 20 seconds of run.
    I'm guessing timing as the motor shakes and really does not want to rev.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Just a 01 Normal

Brand new plugs are black after a about 20 seconds of run.
    I'm guessing timing as the motor shakes and really does not want to rev.
    Make sure you have the vacuum to the map sensor and make sure if it's T to something else there is no leak because that will cause it to do that.

Make sure you have the vacuum to the map sensor and make sure if it's T to something else there is no leak because that will cause it to do that.
    I double o-ringed the sensor and blew into it to make sure it was good. No change.
    Took out the ID 1,000 injectors and put the stock ones in. Fired up and idles. Now, I have to wonder if the ECU is accounting for the cam gears that I specified when sending the ECU in.

i got the same problem with R2....
    ski start and died then sometimes have to try afew times then it will start running smoothly.
    when on land wanted to blow the water out from waterbox,after throttle it dies before idle..
    tis happen after i installed the engine internal upgrade kit and racing cams..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I double o-ringed the sensor and blew into it to make sure it was good. No change.
    Took out the ID 1,000 injectors and put the stock ones in. Fired up and idles. Now, I have to wonder if the ECU is accounting for the cam gears that I specified when sending the ECU in.
    I don't think it's timing on the reflash, I bet they did not take in account for the big injectors so it's dumping way to much fuel. That's why when you put the stock back it started to idle, That explains why the plugs would be so black.
    Also make sure to check you do not get gas in the oil if it's dumping to much fuel because the rings will not seal properly. Worse case if it smells like gas change it to be safe.

I don't think it's timing on the reflash, I bet they did not take in account for the big injectors so it's dumping to much fuel. That's why when you put the stock it started to idle.
    That's what I started thinking when I saw the plugs (and smelled so much fuel).

Thread Information