Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2003 GTX Supercharged Question - Cavitation or Rev Limiter?

Hi there,

I have a 2003 Supercharged GTX. I just picked it up. When you WOT coming out of the hole, it makes a cavatiting noise for a bit then never does it again. It only happens coming out of the hole. It will easily hit 58/62mph all day long and has plenty of power. I noticed that when it comes out of the hole, it spikes instantly to 8000+rpm. I suspected the wear ring as it had some gaps. I changed it out today with an OEM one from the dealership. It is better but it still does it. I am not sure if the supercharger is kicking in too early and the noise is actually the rev limiter or there is a problem elsewhere OR if the 2003's just did this.

When I bought it it was being sold with another 2003, same everything except for color and it had 30 more hours on it. It also did the exact same thing. It strikes me odd that both skis would have the same thing broken, so I am wondering if they all did this in 03 or not. The ski had one owner and it was serviced by the dealership for its every maintenance need.

Any suggestions out there?
    ~Chris

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    driveshaft thru hull carbon seal(accordian looking thing) probably needs replaced from its age,the guys here will chime in for other possibilties,

carbon seal is a good possibility.. Not gonna be happy that I will have to pull the pump back off when it was off today haha.. The accordion looking thing is the boot, I would think if that went, it would be cracked or show some kind of ageing sign?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    If its not keeping enough pressure pushed against the shaft coupler it can be sucking air from inside the hull

Makes sense.. if I go that route, I will replace them both.

my RXP was doing that, did the wear ring and pulled the supercharger still couldnt fix it. Took it into the dealer and he found someone had sharpened or adjusted the impeller the wrong way causing it to "slip", $100 later and it's perfect. Mine only ever did it loaded up with power, like hard sharp turns then WOT or WOT trying to pull a wakeboarder out of the water

+1
    Your carbon seal is going bad. Order a new one as well as a bellow. Part Numbers are as follows.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parts.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	238577

I would also add the following part number for the driveshaft Plug.......272000173 it is 6.99. Worth changing while you are there...... You will notice a difference with the change of these parts. I would also recommend the bellow band by SFR. It should fit. Will greatly reduce the cavitation.

Is the sound like pupupupupup with some bass in it? I get that sound out of the hole if I gun it. So this the carbon ring causing this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andisblue View Post
    Is the sound like pupupupupup with some bass in it? I get that sound out of the hole if I gun it. So this the carbon ring causing this?
    Yes!!! Along with the Bellow aging and going bad. Losing the rigidity to keep air from leaking into the pump...

+1
    If you need tips and or tricks to get the drive shaft out easier, let me know. I have a few that will save you time and pain.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information