2003 polaris genesis i performance problems

Hi....First timer...this is my story...
    I just bought a 2003 polaris genesis i jetski....I added a battery tender line to the battery...I reconnected the battery cables and noticed my hours meter jumped to 553.5...I dicided to take it out for a ride... after a few minutes the hours meter rest to 0.00....then started tracking the time again....the top speed was 29 MPH....so I decided to replace the spark plugs thinking one went fowl....I took it out again and with in a few minutes a plug fowled out...I had a spear and the machine sounded better but again 29 MPH was top speed...can someone shead some light before I take it in for repair....

Ron

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

What spark plugs are you using?

Any warning message OR red lamp on the display?

What is the cylinder compression?

What is the maximum sustained RPM showing while riding? Does it rev higher out of the water?

Thank you...spark plugs NGK laser platinum. fuel injected, no flashing lights, have not check compression, did not look at RPM meter...watching my brother-in-law on it...it look like it road 1/2 way out of the water at full speed...I wonder if the speedomiter is off

+1
    NGK PZFR6H are the only spark plugs that should be used on a fuel injected Polaris Ficht engine.

RPM is the best gauge of engine power, not the indicated speed. Ignore the speedo. Max sustained RPM should be around 6700-6900 RPM when the engine is running well.

Check cylinder compression.

Also check fuel pressure.

How old is the fuel in the tank?

Thank you..Yes those are the plugs I put in...

the fuel was top off at the end of last season according to last owner...How do you check fuel pressure?

+1
    Stale fuel can cause problems, especially if it was not stabilized before storage (Sta-Bil type product).

Fuel pressure check is done at the schrader valve tee in the return fuel line. Should be over 20 PSI and stable. The electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank is turned on when the EMM see the engine is cranking or running.

A further test is to clamp the fuel line between the schrader valve tee and the fuel tank. Fuel pressure should rise to about 30 PSI with the return line clamped (hose pinch pliers), and return to just over 20 PSI with the clamp removed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Stale fuel can cause problems, especially if it was not stabilized before storage (Sta-Bil type product).

Fuel pressure check is done at the schrader valve tee in the return fuel line. Should be over 20 PSI and stable. The electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank is turned on when the EMM see the engine is cranking or running.

A further test is to clamp the fuel line between the schrader valve tee and the fuel tank. Fuel pressure should rise to about 30 PSI with the return line clamped (hose pinch pliers), and return to just over 20 PSI with the clamp removed.
    How do you jump the fuel pump in order to verify it is working properly? Also, is the fuel pressure checked while running? I know, I'm a noob so please bear with me.

Thread Information