Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX140 EMM and injectors don't match?

Does anyone know what to do when they don't match? Do you need to have an EMM that matches the injectors first so you can copy the map and past it to the new EMM? What do you do when you don't have the right map? can it be downloaded or emailed?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How do you know the injectors do not match the EMM?

I sent the EMM and the injectors to DFI because I knew that the ski has had an EMM replacement in the past, I wanted to make sure it had been done correctly, so I asked DFI to check while repairing the EMM and they told me they don't match so now I'm trying to figure out what to do next?

+1
    Hmmm

Well, you can try running the engine with the mis-matched injectors. If the current injectors are close enough to the EMM's compensation mapping then you might get away with it. No way to know for sure until you actually run the engine and monitor the piston wash patterns.

Of course there is a risk that one or more of the injectors will run leaner than optimal.

Brand new 'Service Replacement' injectors come with a special floppy disc that programs the EMM for the new injector, so one option is to buy three of those new injectors.

Another option is to find a partially functional EMM that comes with the matching injectors. Often when an EMM goes 'bad' the computer portion of the EMM is still alive and can be accessed. DFI or another Polaris dealer can use special Polaris software to transfer the 'Injector Compensation maps' from that EMM into yours. Then you use it with the matching purchased injectors.

Any chance of locating the original EMM from your engine?

no the owner doesn't have it. the ski has been running ok for a year so my guess is the injectors aren't to far off. What are a new set of injectors worth? can you tell me the best place in north america to buy new genuine polaris parts? thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER View Post
    ... the ski has been running ok for a year so my guess is the injectors aren't to far off.

What are a new set of injectors worth?

can you tell me the best place in north america to buy new genuine Polaris parts? thanks.
    Running for a year with mismatched injectors? Probably is OK then.

If you want to check on it anyways, you can look at the piston wash pattern on each piston top. You would need to use a borescope to see through the small injector opening in the cylinder head (after removing the injectors), or remove the cylinder heads entirely for an open view.

You can find prices and such in the Parts Sources list, via my signature links.

thanks, will check it out.

has anyone else had a problem using dfi technologies? I've been waiting four months to get this emm back?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER View Post
    has anyone else had a problem using dfi technologies? I've been waiting four months to get this emm back?
    Have you called them?

Not email, telephone.

Airframe89
    +1
    DFI repaired my EMM a few months ago. It took a few weeks to get it back. I would call. They did have to order parts for mine, that was the longest delay. These guys did a great job for me. I did call every week to keep updated on the current status.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information