Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy with 650 sx CDI project

Hello

I am new on this forum and I am looking for some help to a CDI project.

I am the lucky owner of a very well tuned 650sx with alot of power. I burned 2x CDI ignition controllers within 6 monts, and that sucks. Luckely I study electronics, and I might be trying to build one myself.
    I get alot help from electro tech online: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/g...-ignition.html

First off, I just want to ask if anyone know about any project that is similar to mine?
    I also want to know how the ignition system in such a 650 sx works.
    I see two coils inside the stator. One is for charging the 12v battery, the other for the ignition. I was told that both spark plugs ignite simultanously and that must be when either of the 2 cylinders are in top.
    With only 1 coil in the stator, how does it generate a signal for both cylinders?
    Does it use this coil for both signal processing and charging the high voltage capacitor before the primary coil in a CDI circuit?
    The coil can produce a negative and a positive signal when it passes 1 time. Are both signals used in a CDI circuit for a 650 sx?

Also I bought a manual book for 650sx, but I havnt received it yet.

Thanks in advance

The link below shows the wiring diagram. You may want to check things out here first. I'll go visit in the electro forum and see if those guys have any ideas on how to use the below schemetic to hook up to an aftermarket coil. Welcome to the forums!

http://www.x-h2o.com/showthread.php?...wiring-diagram

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/t9501/ has the resistance values. sorry I'm not much help, but I have not messed with my x2 in a few years...other priorities.

Hey Simon, Do you have the motor out of the ski right now? Are you talking about the little box that the rectifier is in, is that the part that gets burnt up or is it the coil down by the flywheel? Do you have any pictures you can post of the "damage" of what is actually burning up?

Hello

No the motor is not comming up. I cannot be sure right now what that is burned, but I guess it is the CDI controller.

I dont see anything burned, I just see that there are no spark I am working very slowly with my project, but I will update.

+1
    There is only one signal for the coil, it fires every 180 degrees, both plugs fire at the same time, the piston at TDC makes power the other is just a wasted spark burning unspent gasses at best (doing nothing)

thank you, nice info

So now I rechecked everything twice and double twice and it seems that 1 spark plug wire can prowide a spark. The other one cant.
    I bixed and baxed (worked) around the "broken wire/spark plug", to see if I could just get a tiny signal just once, but I cant, so I guess it is not the wiring to the spark plug that is the problem.

I wont really start any project before I firgure out the problem

But if it CAN provide a signal through 1 wire and it is the same signal through both, then I can take both signals from that single wire. Tus making the problem either the wire to the sparkplug or something inside the CDI before the one wire, which I cant figure out since I have no schematic for such a stock CDI controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    There is only one signal for the coil, it fires every 180 degrees, both plugs fire at the same time, the piston at TDC makes power the other is just a wasted spark burning unspent gasses at best (doing nothing)
    jesus when I think aabout this, I wonder why all my cewl badass jetski friends allways told me how important it was to put the sparkplugs cables right? How is that?

now I think about it I probably cant cut a wire and use it for same plugs. The same current wont spark two places at once right?

+1
    If it is one coil with multiple plug wires coming out of it there is only one signal. They all fire at once. Polaris fuji triples have 3 separate coils wired in series with only one signal wire, all 3 coils fire at once. I don't recall ever seeing a multiple plug coil with more than one signal wire. Theoretically you could jumper all plugs off of one plug wire, problem is you would have to use an ingition amplifier of some sort as the spark just wouldn't be hot enough. I would say you have one plug wire that is broken internally, or burnt at the coil side. A new coil will fix your problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information