Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation 2004 RXP Taking on water... Please Help!

First, Thanks for at least checking this post out... I'm at a loss any input what so ever is greatly appreciated. Honestly no idea what it could be at this point. Impossible to describe without some background information so I'll get right into it. I have a 2004 seadoo rxp, I bought it with 80 hours on it, know the owner and the mechanic. To this day he still does work on it when I'm too lazy or busy to get my hands dirty as i know just enough to get myself into trouble. The first problem i had with the ski was about two years ago, the water box cracked on it and well.... it went down rapidly taking on water. I managed to get it to shore and back up on the trailer the water was right up to the top of the engine block. When i took it out of the water none of the water drained back out which to me... is pretty weird. How it came in but wouldn't go back out is still a mystery. Anyways i was smart and never tried to turn it back over once i saw water pouring it and luckily the engine wasn't damaged. So I took it to a local seadoo shop that was about 5 minutes from the boat launch and had them "professionally" clean out the hull of any salt, do the oil and antifreeze and do the super charger rebuild. They then told me i had a bad battery, turns out it was actually my rectifier - it was bad. i said what the hell and kept the new battery (guess they got me). I got it back from them and i picked up the riva thru hull exhaust and opas block offs and got to work putting them on. Took it out and it ran great! solid for the rest of the season. I winterized it cleaned it up and couldn't be happier with how it was performing and looking. So last year, i take it of the garage and i find out... they didn't clean the wiring harness very well because the wires some how rusted on it and the damn thing wouldn't even start. I went to them and go figure they went out of business. Apparently they screwed over a lot of people. So i went to the dealer that i got it from and who used to maintain it form the previous owner i would have gone to him but hes 45 minutes away. Anyways he remembered me and hooked me up with a brand new wiring harness. I take it out get about 10 hours on it and after going for a cruise at about 40mph down the river i decided to open it up on the way back up, i hit 70 on the speedo and then i heard this horrible noise... vroosssshhhhhh. And it bounced on the rev limiter. I immediately pulled the key and simply was in a wtf moment. I turn it back on and its fine... i rode it all day and nothing, wouldn't do it again. I took it back to my mechanic and he looked at the supercharger for me just to make sure it was done properly etc, we both figured the sound might have been the SC slipping but everything checked out fine. A week or so later, same exact thing happened except this time i started it back up and it wouldn't go ANYWHERE. I'm talking... no more then idle speed, i gave it gas and it just reved up to 7-8 grand and didnt move at all. i poped the seat and that's when i noticed all the water spiting from the thru hull. so... managed to get it to the beach where a few friends i knew were at and got towed in. So this time, i washed it out myself making sure there wasn't any salt left in the hull and brought it to my mechanic. He took a look... Thru hull went bad, so he put a new one on and said i should be good to go. WRONG! I get out there... Same thing happends YET AGAIN. Going about 60 i hit it to 70 then let off the gas went to give it more again and all of a sudden to a halting stop it rev's way up i let off the gas, and I'm stuck... not able to go more then 5 mph and waters coming in quick. By this time I'm pretty much an expert on salvaging my jetski... and instinct kicks in. The girl i'm with had no idea what was going on, so i'm yelling quick get off get off she jumps into tons of jelly fish and i managed to get it to plane off without her on it. She doesn't weigh more then 110 pounds but it did the trick. anyways.... i did what any jetski lover would do and clearly... i choose the jetski over her and left her in the river and made it to shore Hey she had a life jacket on and it wasn't more then a 2 minute swim from shore and we were the only ones out there. (she was not a happy camper) finally got a hold of someone who could come out to the river and give me a tow. I get it to the shop and my mechanic is shocked, so he puts a new thru hull on it no charge takes apart the SC to make sure there wasn't any water in it and says what the hell i want to make sure this doesn't happen again and puts another rubber boot over the part where the drive shaft goes thru the hull. JUST TO BE SAFE. all is well for the rest of the season was only maybe 15 hours worth of riding and i winterized it and put it away. Which brings us to now, Told you it was a long post I took it out the first week in march wet suit and all! froze my ass of but it was great to be out on the water again just broke over 200 hours on it . I took it out today, May 12th, beautiful day out. warmed it up got on it a bit no problem! was feeling great about it, took a nap at the beach for 2 hours, got back on it and put a good hour riding time on it. Went for one last run down the river and on the way back up i opened it up (I hardly ever go wot and if i do its not for a long period of time) So i'm wide open throttle saying to my self see? its fine nothings going to happen and Vroooooosshhhh. it happens.... and now i'm taking on water... yet again. Its almost like someone missed 2nd gear in a car and it just revs up then seems to almost catch? then just not go anywhere. Definitely hearing SC wine when its reeving up like that but i know the SC is fine. And its got a grinding noise to it as well. Keep in mind the whole noise etc last until the jetski comes to a stop, then when and if i can finally get it going again it goes away. luckily it was just me on it and i was able to do a few circles to build up enough speed with the trim down to plain off and it seemed to run okay... but was still taking on water (from what i could see, hard while driving holding the seat etc, it was coming from near the thru hull) so i'm trying to maintain around 20 mph if i had to guess just barley pained off so it would bail some of the water out the back, I switched to rpms to make sure it wasn't anywhere near over reeving and made a 5 min trip back to the boat launch. At about 20 mph i was at well over 5 grand. People on there boats really don't like waves in the marina... but really... i had no choice i got it planed off and anyone who has ever sank or almost sank knows shit changes within a minute and the water is still very cold. So yeah, made some waves but got it to shore. I'm at a loss. I'm taking it to the mechanic tomorrow he cant believe it happened but honestly somehow i almost can I love this jetski just had 5 hours bonding time waxing and cleaning it, and Just put new hydro turf mats down. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, the thru hull didn't look like it came loose, But I'll confirm that after tomorrows trip to the dealer. The mechanic is nothing but great alot of people from southern CT go to him. I'm pointing towards drive shaft? Maybe its slightly bent or off balance to then crack the thru hull or the Carbon? ring that goes around it? Like i said i know enough to get myself intro trouble. I appreciate the time anyone takes to read this Novel I don't want to be stuck on shore this season!

Thanks again to anyone who can help,

-Patrick Houle

Got any CliffsNotes on this thread?

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTLaser View Post
    Got any CliffsNotes on this thread?
    exxxxactly, so whats the problem?

Sorry, Totally should have summarized as well. tried to list all the steps I've taking thus far.

- Say your going 65, it more or less will all off a sudden rev up and come to a stop as if you let off the gas completely, while this happens you pretty much experience a Vrossssshhhh noise (best way i can describe it) thats really loud and then you cant go any faster then idle with some serious moves i got it to plain off but its pretty much impossible to do so. It then begins to take on water, which appears to be coming from around the drive shaft. I'm thinking, what could slip in order to break the thru hull. Unless something else is going on Here

Edit: What the heck would cause it to drop from how ever fast i'm going to 0 and then not be able to plain off. Then cause it to take on water.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redspider View Post
    Sorry, Totally should have summarized as well. tried to list all the steps I've taking thus far.

- Say your going 65, it more or less will all off a sudden rev up and come to a stop as if you let off the gas completely, while this happens you pretty much experience a Vrossssshhhh noise (best way i can describe it) thats really loud and then you cant go any faster then idle with some serious moves i got it to plain off but its pretty much impossible to do so. It then begins to take on water, which appears to be coming from around the drive shaft. I'm thinking, what could slip in order to break the thru hull. Unless something else is going on Here
    youre exhaust wouldnt cause that, sounds like carbon seal, sever cavitation loose impeller

+1
    I'm pointing towards drive shaft? Maybe its slightly bent or off balance to then crack the thru hull or the Carbon? ring that goes around it?

-Patrick Houle
    Sounds to me like you have carbon seal issues. Have your mechanic check the alignment of your engine and inspect/replace all of the carbon seal components including the bellows.

Thanks for the response! I totally forgot, Impeller... I thought the same thing so did my mechanic, we looked at it and it was fine, i even said what the hell and had him put a brand new one on even tho he said it wasn't necessary. Carbon ring was fine last time it was in the shop with the same incident.

So things I've checked

-SC
    -Impeller
    -Thru Hull (which may have gone again)

What would cause the thru hull to go not once... not twice, but 3 times?

Thanks Craigo sounds like a step in the right direction!

+1

What would cause the thru hull to go not once... not twice, but 3 times?
    If you are having engine alignment issues the carbon seal will never seal properly.

Which components were replaced during the previous rebuilds?

Quote Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
    Sounds to me like you have carbon seal issues. Have your mechanic check the alignment of your engine and inspect/replace all of the carbon seal components including the bellows.
    +1 ..... Changing mine out now while I'm in there doing other work so this doesn't happen.... Thanks for the CliffsNotes....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information