Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hi,
    I have been looking at the awesome information you guys share! I have a 1996 SLT780, and the MFD was doing strange things. I followed the instructions for "cracking" one open, with mixed results. I thought I was being careful, but managed to nick one of the flat wires for the front switches. Otherwise, it went very well. Is there any way to repair this? The circuit board looks good.

Rick522

welcome from another noob lots of info here soak it all up as far as the nick on the wire good luck with that one if your real good with a soldering iron your could possible scrape off the plastic and solder a tiny piece of wire to it or you could find a donor mfd thats crapped out

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Does the MFD now work properly, except for the damaged switch?

If you cannot repair the ribbon connection, you may be able to purchase a 'dead' MFD and salvage the front panel button assembly for your own MFD, or swap your electronics into the other display case.

I haven't tried it since I took it apart. The display was fading, and showing a warning about lack of oil(last fall - can't remember the exact message).
    I was going to clean the contacts and re-assemble it. The ribbon I nicked is on the right hand side. Everything else is in good shape. If anyone has a dead unit they want to sell, I am sure interested!

+1
    Welcome to the hulk! The Polaris forum is full of parts hoarders I'm sure you will find a ribbon cable of someone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick522 View Post
    I haven't tried it since I took it apart. The display was fading, and showing a warning about lack of oil(last fall - can't remember the exact message).
    I was going to clean the contacts and re-assemble it. The ribbon I nicked is on the right hand side. Everything else is in good shape. If anyone has a dead unit they want to sell, I am sure interested!
    Welcome to Green Hulk !

You should probably start by making sure the rest of the MFD will work properly,The oil warning will probably be a different issue.

I've bought a few non-working MFD, the ribbons seem to be a weak spot,the contact points will corrode away.I tried some brush on conductive stuff,soon became frustrated with working on the MFD's and haven't revisited the repairs.

Did you cut through the ribbon ?

Sure did.

First one I've opened up - the ribbon runs awfully close to the case.

I found it imposible to solder to this cable. I set the soldering iron for a very low temp and the meterial still melted. see photos attached. Also, this cable is part of the actual switch membrane. The photo rear view shows the membrane melted from trying to solder.

The other photo is the front panel with the labeling removed showing the actual switch membranes. As a note, this cable cannot be replaced as it is one piece. This MFD was given to me from hulk member "Ixice". The left switch (mode) is shorted as you can see by the discoloration.

The MFD will still partially function without the cable. It will still wake up, display Fuel and Oil levels, RPM, speed and alarms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00713.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	239512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00716.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	239513  

just a thought but you could install a couple small momentary switches on the front panel drill through the old switches and solder the leads to the board leave some extra length so you have plenty of room to work

then use some jbweld stick weld and mold around the switches to give it a factory look

just a thought thats what id try you could even leave the leads really long and mount them on a handlebar switch

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Tactile-Push-...ht_2933wt_1216

I've been looking for a round miniture pushbutton switch that can be mounted in place of the existing membrane switch. Round would be much easier to install in the MFD. The switches could also be external to the MFD maybe just below the existing locations or to each side of the MFD. As you suggest even on the handle bars. They will have to be sealed waterproof or they would not last long. If anyone has other ideas please, chime in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information