Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wear ring

wear ring

Would the steel wear ring be worth putting in my pump with the stock setup? I notice his price went up to $300 now on the rings. Thats the price of seven plastic rings.

I guess it would be if you ride a lot. I have seen several people post that the plastic wear rings only last a few hours. At approx. $40.00 a pop, the bill can add up. Not to mention down time and frustration. And by the 8th wear ring the SS wear ring would have paid for itself. The SS ring would pay for itself even sooner if you have someone or a shop do the work for you since you would then have to also add in the cost of labor.

+1
    In a stock setup the plastic wear ring is fine. I got 70 hours out of my plastic wear ring before i started modding. What sucks about the plastic wear ring is it does wear over time causing you to slowly lose performance. That stainless steel wear ring maintains a tight tolerance with the impeller keeping your performance/speed consistant.

If i were to buy a new RXP today the first thing i would do is put in a SS wear ring.... right after i yanked off that OPAS

+1
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I'm not, but I ride in areas free of debris and am cautious of not sucking up anything. So if nothing gets sucked up and spat out then the wear ring won't wear, right? I have nearly 70 hours and not a nick so far.

Jerry, I had thought you were one of the ones that had posted that the wear rings were lasting you only a few hours. Maybe I'm wrong.

+1
    You are right Joe! I never had a problem until i added more horsepower and more radical pitch impellers. Those that have dramatically increased horsepower output have the same problem with the plastic wear ring, they burn them up.

Thanks for clearing that up. I forgot that that was about the time that you started modding your ski. Taking that into consideration, I think it safe to say that someone who rides in debris free waters and has no mods should be able to use their original wear ring for quite some time.

+1
    Absolutely! My stock wear ring lasted 70 hours in my RXP's stock condition.

+1
    So clean water and mods = wear rings? Maybe I'm confused about the whole schematic of the pump. Does the impeller hit the wear ring during high torque loads, like flexing? Because if it doesn't, I can't see any damage other than sucking something up to be going through wear rings. And if you put a wear ring made of material stronger or similar to the impeller - what's going to give? The rock, wear ring, or the impeller?

+1
    My problem was from pump shaft deflection caused by the additional power my engine was making. My impeller was either hitting the wear ring or coming damn close to it causing the plastic to burn away. PPG did a mod to my pump and i dropped a SS wear ring in and havent had a problem since. Before all that my wear rings were lasting less than 5 hours run time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information