Yamaha VX Deluxe Ventilation Issues....Strange. Never seen this?

I have a 2005 VX Dekuxe new to me and have a strange issue. I bought the ski overfilled on oil ofcourse, changed oil and went with RD filter. Took it out and would only top out at 42-46 on speedo. Didnt GPS it but could tell it wasnt hitting full rpms. Runs very smoothly and no codes or warnings. I thought it could be L mode but dont remember seeing yellow light and seemed a little too fast for L mode (although Ive never been on this thing before so no references).

Anyway, fuel could be old but guy said it was from last year, and that to me is usually ok but could be cause. So I was going to drain gas but started it to clear water box and noticed the new vinyl I had installed on the seat was getting sucked in and out like it was breathing when I throttled up. So that seems like it certainly would be my loss of top speed. On the trailer when I open the hood up no more constriction of seat vinyl, when I close it, it doesnt breath adequately.

I did install a new hood but it looks exactly the same. My question is what can I do to fix this? Stock is fine but Im sure this thing stock is NOT supposed to be in such a vacuum state where the seat gets sucked so hard the vinyl constricts.....Thanks!

+1
    Can't answer for your vx, but my gpr used to suck in on the seat bigtime-never affected performance to your level though-I suspect there is something else wrong.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Wonder View Post
    I have a 2005 VX Dekuxe new to me and have a strange issue. I bought the ski overfilled on oil ofcourse, changed oil and went with RD filter. Took it out and would only top out at 42-46 on speedo. Didnt GPS it but could tell it wasnt hitting full rpms. Runs very smoothly and no codes or warnings. I thought it could be L mode but dont remember seeing yellow light and seemed a little too fast for L mode (although Ive never been on this thing before so no references).

Anyway, fuel could be old but guy said it was from last year, and that to me is usually ok but could be cause. So I was going to drain gas but started it to clear water box and noticed the new vinyl I had installed on the seat was getting sucked in and out like it was breathing when I throttled up. So that seems like it certainly would be my loss of top speed. On the trailer when I open the hood up no more constriction of seat vinyl, when I close it, it doesnt breath adequately.

I did install a new hood but it looks exactly the same. My question is what can I do to fix this? Stock is fine but Im sure this thing stock is NOT supposed to be in such a vacuum state where the seat gets sucked so hard the vinyl constricts.....Thanks!
    My Ultra150 did the same thing. I had to get a hole saw and cut some vents inside the front storage bucket and underside of the Hood. Get a little more venting to the engine compartment. Problem went away. you may need to check out the stock hull vents for a possible obstruction though.

Yeah I went and checked the vents "holes" The two vent hoses lead up the top of steering cover. Then there are only two slots that feed are under storage lid. The slots are only about 1/8 inch thick and 6 inches long. If the hood is shut thats the only air vent. If I lift hood about three inches the vacuum is eliminated but I can feel the hood being forced down by air flow. I dont see any restrictions and everything looks OE. I think Im going to take it out and open the hood and see if my sluggish top speed is cleared up.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Old trick is to raise the seat base, they try to make these things pretty water tight from the factory......not sure how the seat base is mounted on the VX, probably just like my VXR but all you have to do is undo all the seat base bolts and place a washer or 2 between the seat base and the hull and reinstall the bolts, but remember it will take on water quicker like that if it ends up flipped over.......So if you ski ends up upside down more than once a year , dont do it, lol.............

+1
    To make your ski get its speed back, try putting in a new set of plugs.. Seems this gov't funded and mandated gasahol is really screwing up our skis.. Seems the four stokes are more prone to the problem. My FXHO did the same thing.. not the seat sucking but the not running part.. Didn't believe the dealer that the plugs were the problem but ended up bolting in a set and it took care of the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by CARLRRE View Post
    To make your ski get its speed back, try putting in a new set of plugs.. Seems this gov't funded and mandated gasahol is really screwing up our skis.. Seems the four stokes are more prone to the problem. My FXHO did the same thing.. not the seat sucking but the not running part.. Didn't believe the dealer that the plugs were the problem but ended up bolting in a set and it took care of the problem...
    Agreed....but I already put RD filter, new plugs, oil change(less 1.5 quarts off what was in there). Im going to try the seat thing....also, I changed the hood but did NOT add the foam "spacer" near the top offf the hood on both sides. If I hold the hood even as far as 2 inches away and rev the engine I can really feel it sucking down on hood. If the hood is all the way down Im sure its put on ton of psi (relatively speaking) on the hood. Im not a rocket scientist but If the intake is getting that much resistance the thing is not breathing properly. For now Im going to add spacers to seat and hood. Then Im going to add RIVA air flow cutouts....

Thread Information