Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

computer geek question?

how long does a 6 cell battery last in a laptop?
    seems lately I only get about 1/2 hour of run time before it needs charging... the power setting i would say is pretty conservative, not a lot of crap running in the background.
    so it is almost a year old, is it time to replace the battery pack? thanks people.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    how long does a 6 cell battery last in a laptop?
    seems lately I only get about 1/2 hour of run time before it needs charging... the power setting i would say is pretty conservative, not a lot of crap running in the background.
    so it is almost a year old, is it time to replace the battery pack? thanks people.
    I just had the same question!! Just under a year. Went and bought a replacement batt pack and good to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    I just had the same question!! Just under a year. Went and bought a replacement batt pack and good to go!!
    something I have to look into then maybe I can install a 9 cell

+1
    Removing the battery while using the computer on AC power will help them last longer.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Mine is one year old and I get about 4 hours of hard use or 8 if I dial the settings back. It was rated for up to 12 hours though but that is with everything turned off. Wifi, processors dialed down, screen dimmed way down, etc.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    what they dont tell you is that leaving it plugged in to AC power all the time will eventually kill the batteries ability to keep a charge, best to unplug it at night. been doing this for awhile and my 2 year old laptop keeps 6 hour charge running all apps.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Removing the battery while using the computer on AC power will help them last longer.
    Crapppppp The battery runs down so often and quick that after it is charged i usually leave the charger plugged in until my old arse gets up and shuts it down...

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Mine is one year old and I get about 4 hours of hard use or 8 if I dial the settings back. It was rated for up to 12 hours though but that is with everything turned off. Wifi, processors dialed down, screen dimmed way down, etc.
    I just looked up the date. this will be one year old 5/24... hahah they don`t even make this model anymore, another obsolete laptop... Acer 180

Quote Originally Posted by sHALlow View Post
    what they dont tell you is that leaving it plugged in to AC power all the time will eventually kill the batteries ability to keep a charge, best to unplug it at night. been doing this for awhile and my 2 year old laptop keeps 6 hour charge running all apps.
    ok. I do not leave it plugged in over night or anything, the only time it`s plugged in is to charge, and then a little past that if I`m still using it. when I`m done it comes off the charger.

I see that the battery is a Sanyo AS07A31, and the price differences are wide
    so far I see anywhere from 29.00 to 149.00 for one and two year warranty.
    now the problem is I read some reviews and on some of the sites with the cheaper battery`s, the reviews said they did not fit well and required some filing of the edge to snap in, say what!!!

I also saw the acer/store battery was thru the roof at over 150...

right now I`m timing how long this charge lasts, by just surfing and posting various sites and emails...

from what I read, the original battery is only good for 300-500 charge cycles...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sHALlow View Post
    Ok, here's my southern fairy tale(yawl ain't gonna believe this s c h i t!!) laptop story.
    Bought this hunk of crap laptop that I'm on now, back in 2006, when my $4000 Alienware laptop died. cost me $800 at best buy-it's an HP DV something or other-I got it because I was going back on duty for a week and needed a laptop, and wanted a 17" screen, like my dead Alien.

So, fast forward to 2011-fricking like the energizer bunny, still going strong. original battery-I run it on AC most of the time, always have the battery in it-but sometimes run it just on the battery, and it will last over 1 1/2 hours!!!!! Still!!!!

Now don't get me wrong-this laptop will not set any speed records. I call it a "diesel powered" laptop-it's is that slow. Takes over a minute to open up Firefox!!!! Yea, that slow....but, as you can see, works just fine.
    Oh, and it had wifi, which was new back then, and our base had that, so I had to have one with built-in wifi.
    Only problem has been that I lost the number 6 key....???? so I have to push that little rubber nub. Oh, and sometimes the cap locks magically just lock on.....all caps and I have to reboot the entire computer to make it work right-sometimes, when i don't use caps, it will work fine.
    but, if i start using caps in a post, it can take me 10 minutes of booting and writing before i can post.

figure that one out.....???

Oh and i don't leave mine plugged in over night-just went i'm using it.......
    however, i can't recommend HP for anything. have a room full of broken hp printers....nothing but crap. but hey, lap top still works, go figure.

POS alienware-cost me a fortune, lasted only 14 months-motherboard fried itself-out of warranty......so, wasted 4 grand on that pile of dung.
    still have it-sitting in a closet-still dead er' than hell. had dual raid drives, 17" screen, super fast video card, 3. something ghz pentium super fast cpu....loved that lap top...great for gaming. but......?

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Ok, here's my southern fairy tale(yawl ain't gonna believe this s c h i t!!) laptop story.
    Bought this hunk of crap laptop that I'm on now, back in 2006, when my $4000 Alienware laptop died. cost me $800 at best buy-it's an HP DV something or other-I got it because I was going back on duty for a week and needed a laptop, and wanted a 17" screen, like my dead Alien.

So, fast forward to 2011-fricking like the energizer bunny, still going strong. original battery-I run it on AC most of the time, always have the battery in it-but sometimes run it just on the battery, and it will last over 1 1/2 hours!!!!! Still!!!!

Now don't get me wrong-this laptop will not set any speed records. I call it a "diesel powered" laptop-it's is that slow. Takes over a minute to open up Firefox!!!! Yea, that slow....but, as you can see, works just fine.
    Oh, and it had wifi, which was new back then, and our base had that, so I had to have one with built-in wifi.
    Only problem has been that I lost the number 6 key....???? so I have to push that little rubber nub. Oh, and sometimes the cap locks magically just lock on.....all caps and I have to reboot the entire computer to make it work right-sometimes, when i don't use caps, it will work fine.
    but, if i start using caps in a post, it can take me 10 minutes of booting and writing before i can post.

figure that one out.....???

Oh and i don't leave mine plugged in over night-just went i'm using it.......
    however, i can't recommend HP for anything. have a room full of broken hp printers....nothing but crap. but hey, lap top still works, go figure.

POS alienware-cost me a fortune, lasted only 14 months-motherboard fried itself-out of warranty......so, wasted 4 grand on that pile of dung.
    still have it-sitting in a closet-still dead er' than hell. had dual raid drives, 17" screen, super fast video card, 3. something ghz pentium super fast cpu....loved that lap top...great for gaming. but......?
    now that`s funny! I type heavy handed, you can hear the key strokes from across the house, Im pretty sure that`s how the shift key really needs to be pushed down to have caps when needed.
    so far This one can go 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hours on a charge blogging... if I watch a movie/tv etc, it will run down faster... and this is at one year old...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    now that`s funny! I type heavy handed, you can hear the key strokes from across the house, Im pretty sure that`s how the shift key really needs to be pushed down to have caps when needed.
    so far This one can go 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hours on a charge blogging... if I watch a movie/tv etc, it will run down faster... and this is at one year old...
    honestly, i'm surprised it has lasted this long. i just wish i could figure out why when i start using the shift key for caps it gets all locked on, all by itself. totally screws my blogging up, as i usually have to start over.....keys don't work right....stupid little finger mouse pad doesn't work right either when it does that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information