long distance trailoring

in june im going to trailer my 10' rxt-x 260 from elizabeth city, NC to panama city FL (8-900miles) ive read in a couple places that a cover will actually do more damage to the ski being trailored that long. so i guess my question is what is your recomendation on trailoring my ski that kind of distance?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarp08 View Post
    in june im going to trailer my 10' rxt-x 260 from elizabeth city, NC to panama city FL (8-900miles) ive read in a couple places that a cover will actually do more damage to the ski being trailored that long. so i guess my question is what is your recomendation on trailoring my ski that kind of distance?
    Leave the covers off while traveling. I messed up part of my hood trailering my skis 480 miles one way in March. Rubs on the mirrors.

+1
    The older and I am talking 1990's, covers seem to do a much better job trailering. The new one like MSRXP says seem to rub something raw.

+1
    If you want to trailer it covered, you can take painters tape and tape all edges. I did that on the way home and no issues. I just don't like riding unprotected down the highway for rock chips dirt and debris are noticeable. I just taped the mirrors and all the edges down the side. The outer footwell edges are what I am speaking of.

+1
    I put a fitted flannel sheet over the ski, then the cover.

+1
    Yeah, I thought about doing that. The covers I have are tight to begin with. I figured taping the edges would allow it to fit a little better and not worry about them coming off...

Jack up each side of the trailer and spin the tire and make sure it spins free and without any noise. If has any of the these 2 issues you will need to replace the wheel bearings / seal. Also make sure you take a spare tire / jack / lug wrench.
    You see people on the side of the road all the time due to lack of maintenance of their trailers.

thanks for all the responses....the trailor is brand new ski only has 10hrs on it, so that shouldnt be an issue...i kinda like the flanel sheet idea over the top then the cover...interesting...trailoring vehicle is an 07 toyota 4 runner its fairly wide the ski doesnt even come close to sticking out of either side so im kind of banking on the idea that the tow vehicle will do some if not a lot of protection for the ski. the biggest part im really worried about is the underside/hull area of the ski.

+1
    Tape it up with a rash guard. Any type of gaffers tape should work without leaving a residue. 3 inch masking would work too. I get the rash tape from a place that wraps boats for transport.

Thread Information