2004 GP1300R won't start

Got the ski out of the garage to get ready for the summer. It started up initially and ran for about 5 minutes when I just tapped the throttle a little bit and it died out. Now it doesn't want to start. It will crank over but that's it. The battery tested good. Holding down the instrament panel button for 10 secs gives a code of 01 which is normal. Bad gas maybe? Although I did put Stabil in the tank in the late fall. The only mod on it is a D-plate, other than that it's stock with 35 hours. I had checked the plugs last August and they looked good. The valves do the self adjust after a start attempt as normal. Any ideas where to look?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CreekRunner View Post
    Got the ski out of the garage to get ready for the summer. It started up initially and ran for about 5 minutes when I just tapped the throttle a little bit and it died out. Now it doesn't want to start. It will crank over but that's it. The battery tested good. Holding down the instrament panel button for 10 secs gives a code of 01 which is normal. Bad gas maybe? Although I did put Stabil in the tank in the late fall. The only mod on it is a D-plate, other than that it's stock with 35 hours. I had checked the plugs last August and they looked good. The valves do the self adjust after a start attempt as normal. Any ideas where to look?
    Check to see if you have spark on the spark plug wires. And i will tell you were to go from there.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim, it's appreciated. Tested the three wires and they're all energized. I also pulled the plugs and as far as I can tell they look OK. I'm going to replace them anyway since I believe they're the original to the motor. Probably a good idea anyway although I don't know if they are the problem.

+1
    Has your throttle cable recall been done? Can you verify that the throttle body plates in the barrels are closed. SHould hear a click when they hit the adjuster when all the way closed when you let the throttle off. Try it without hitting the starter, if the TB's are open enough, it wont start. Something to try.

Thread Information