Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

94 Spx...No thrust ...other than idle

When in the water the ski will idle fine..but as soon as i throttle it the RPMs rev and start to bounce off the limiter...with minimal push just slightly more than a idle..and that only if i play with the throttle a little bit. I just changed the wear ring last nite hoping that was the issue..it wasnt..any help would be much appreciated..thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH! from the sounds of it your splines on the drive shaft are stripped. pull the pump and have a look. worst case your splines are stripped in the PTO or the prop too

seems the splines in the pump are ok..i used an old shaft to hold the impeller while i turned the nut. when i did the wear ring.it seemed tight..how do you check it on the engine side? should it just pull out...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your going to have to pull the motor to change out the PTO...how ever you can check it before you have to pull it.

+1
    It could be as easy as the rubber bumper on the front of the drive shaft came off. Plus not enought grease in the PTO the drive is going forward to much and not getting into the splines. It's worth checking. As crazy as it might be I've seen it be the case. There should be a rubber bumper on both ends of the drive shaft.

+1
    Pull the pump back off and pull the driveshaft out through the back. I'm betting the splines are stripped out on the PTO side. The PTO will also be ruined. You can shove a bunch of rope in one cylinder and use a fairly large pipe wrench on the PTO to remove it without pulling the engine. I just did my buddies for him last summer.

ok so hear is what i found...just after the engine between the greese fitting and infront of the rubber hose that covers the shaft there was about 6 in of kite string wrapped around the shaft...i wasnt able to get the shaft out but i was able to fold the boot down and saw abt half of the splines and they looked good...unless they are stripped further up...question..does the shaft move out towards the prob under throttle ? that may explain whe it that thrust under idle and not much under throttle....

ok so 2 questions here would the rope cause my issues and is so is it possible it cause my shaft to strip?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Then it sounds like its sucking air from insdie the hull but it should also be leaking in water too? right? oh and on the PTO removal thing,..i've used a good soft nylon rope,removed the rear spark plug,coiled it on the top of the piston,as a piston stop and took a pipe wrench and broke it loose.its been years ago,but i've done it(fyi)

it def seems like it sucking air and not water..i notices a bent fan blade not too bad.....but i dont think that would be the issue...then engine reves up fast and sounds strong just like it sounds out of the water

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Fan blade? as in the impeller...yea!, if its bent,damaged in a way that its visible just looking at it,yes it will effect it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information