Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

New to the world of Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-13_22-16-22_931.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	238762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-13_22-15-26_343.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	238761Hi everyone- I wanted to introduce myself first, My name is Chuck, I am from MN. I have owned a few polaris watercrafts in my time, My first was a 92' SL 650 that i bought way back in 1995, then in 1997 after being hooked I purchased a 95 SLX 780. in about 2000 I sold my watercrafts, Got Married, had Kids, etc,..... but last month I decided to get a jetski again, you know something just to screw around with, well I found a 1997 Polaris SLX Pro 785 that was in great condition, The MFD says 28 hrs, and by the looks i beleive it. I found this forum/website when I was "googling" info about this watercraft, I have to say I have never signed up for a forum, however I have always enjoyed my jetski in the past, and this forum seems to be packed with people who know whats going on with polaris watercraft. OK, so I have read a ton of the posts here, and so many are packed with info on the PRO, well I do not plan on doing anything crazy to it, and it appears completely stock and I plan on leaving it that way, however the 1 thing with my craft is the front hood compartment, When I got it the guy said it was tied to a dock and it rubbed on the top, but it doesnt seem to allign quite right, I have removed the hood, messed with the hinges, and still just doesnt seem right. I looked online and of course only the 97 and 98 models use this type of crazy spring loaded hinge. anyways if anyone knows what I am talking about, and has any helpful ideas I would appreciate it, Thanks again in advance for everyones help! I have attached a couple pics for you to look at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-13_22-19-11_582.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	238763  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Chuck

The 1997 edition of the Pro 785 was the very first model year for your 'race ready from the showroom' PWC. There were a number of tweaks and upgrades that you should learn about. The '97 hull is the lightest weight year, but it tends to develop cracks in the deck unless additional supporting foam is added to the rear area.

I think there were also some changes to the exhaust cooling hoses, and some other items that the Pro 785 experts will know about.

Take the time to maintain and understand your Pro 785. At the time there was nothing else like it for sale in factory stock configuration.

+1
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I have read here about the stress cracks, and fortunatley the Hull on this machine is in near mint condition. I may be interested in reinfourceing the hull with foam but will need to look into it. Also, I had heard about the water draining issue on the 97, but, here is a question regarding that... after loading the ski on the trailer dont you normally fire it up out of the water for a few seconds? I had always done that with my old watercraft and it would always shoot a bit of water out the exhaust. wouldnt this eliminate any water getting to the engine? Again, thanks for your help!

+1
    Find hood hinges from a early SL. like a 94. Put them on, and then use a piece of single webbing to hold the hood open to your desired position.

These early hinges are much easier to manipulate when trying to get hood positioned better. Also, it takes the strain off the body that the spring set-up applies. With the stock hinges, your hood may rub and or break, or crack/break the hull itself.

+1
    Thanks for the Tip, I was courious if the Earlier SL hinges would work, (didnt know if the hole allignment was the same) I think I will hunt down a set to try out

+1
    Working on a picture for ya..... I bought a hull from Polarisracer166 from this forum and it came with the webbing to hold the hood as I mention. Works very well. I had a problem with the hinges I had and was much happier after I put the different hinges on.

As for keeping the water out of the engine, it does happen, and has to me once on a long steep boat ramp. Whenever possible, I try to run the ski while going up ramps. although this is kinda hard if you're by yourself. At the very least, as soon as you get the ski out of the water on the trailer, clean out the pipes before driving up the ramp. Run the engine and burp the throttle several times to blow as much water out as possible... Then drive up the ramp slowly and dont be accelerating quickly etc...

+1
    Here you can see the webbing is bolted on the hull at one of the bolts for the water/fuel seperator. The other end goes to a bolt that holds the sealing compartment (black plastic piece containing the fire extinguisher)

You can also see the hood damage that I had cause of the crappy hinges. front of the hood dang near broke off. I had to patch it and do some fiberglass patching. Also, pictured are the individual hinges from the earliest polaris models...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0182.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	238764  

+1
    nice, the strap looks like my emergency recoil starter for my Polaris XCR snowmobile. I found a set of hinges on ebay for cheap so I may just pick them up. Thanks for the quick reply!

+1
    That pull start strap is exactly like what you'd wanna use. Wont take much, anything similar would be fine.

Also, I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY advise taking action on the '97 hull rearend reinforcement before you get cracking. It WILL crack, 100% Guys use two part mix expanding foam. Elevate the front end up high essentially, and poor inside inbetween the hull halves..

+1
    I hear what your saying about the Hull, is it a hard project to deal with the foam? do you have to remove all the stock foam? since it is just for support can a person just use "great stuff" and jam the straw as far back into the hull as possible and go to town?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information