+1

96' 1100zxi wont idle

I have a 96' 1100zxi that wont idle unless the primer is pumped. I have installed a new engine from SBT and everything is stock including the flame arrestor. I have read a few threads concerning the issue I'm having and here is what I have tried so far.

Set the carb settings to 1 and 1/8 for the high and 1 and 1/4 for the low, Cleaned the carbs twice making sure no water was in the fuel, new sparkplugs and set the pop off pressure to 30. The rear carb was about 35 to start with. Also, the middle carbs low speed needle was only 3/4 out. I even tried new gas with no improvement. The carb adjustment helped some but its still far from being right.

I noticed that there was 2 different listings for the carbs for this year model. (Non CV) One with a 72 low speed jet and one with a 78. Mine has a 78 low speed and 120 for the high speed. The choke rods/flaps have been removed and a primer installed. The accellerator pump works right and it seems to have good flow from the tank in both reserve and on positions.
    Anybody have any advise? Thanks!

+1
    The mixture screw settings are a starting point, they're not set in stone. Adjust them again if needed. What RPM are you trying to idle at? Have you inspected for air leaks on the intake side? When you had the carbs apart, did you thoroughly blow out all the little holes and passageways?

+1
    Yes, I removed the little black plugs under the plate that holds the needle and float lever. Its all clean and I can see through all the little holes. I also sprayed carb cleaner through the jets and it came out through all the right places. I was careful when I put the reed cages in. The surfaces were cleaned good and new gaskets were used. As for an idle speed, I try to aim for the lowest stable idle which is around 600 to 700 rpm. I know its lower than the recommended because it makes the impeller shaft rock back and forth sometiimes but it makes loading a lot eaiser and safer.

I'm about to put the carbs back on but not before setting the low speed needle to 2 turns out. Hopefully thats the magic number.

+1
    600-700? I didn't know they would even run that slow. Bump it up a bit.

As far as loading, do a 360 when you get close to the trailer to slow down.

+1
    After thinking about it, I set the low speed needles to 1 and 3/4 out with the stops positioned so I could go to 1 and 1/2. It started up and idled fine. Took it to the lake and it run good. No water in the hull and the engine stayed juat above warm. I think I got it. Atleast until the engine breaks in some.
    Thanks for the help!!!

clean out the carbs mine did the exact thing untill i gave them a good cleaning

Thread Information