Need NON-WORKING MFD (for the buttons) for a 95 SLX780

I was trying to re-repair the faded segments on my MFD and cut through the damn ribbon cables for the SET and MODE buttons. So, now I am in need of the buttons only to complete the repair. If anyone could help I would certainly appreciate it !

Thanks
    sawdust

The ribbon cable can be replaced with individual wires (3) soldered to the circuit board and to the remaining ribbon cable exiting from the head. If you need help doing it, let me know. I'll be happy to help or do it for you.

That is definitely plan B at this point, ki5pm. However, I am not sure if I have enough left on one of them to get any wire soldered to it. I might just take you up on that offer if all else fails!

Thanks!

I have soldered to other types of ribbon cable (not Polaris) in the past with success. I have a defective MFD with shorted mode switch. I attempted this evening to solder to the polaris ribbon cable with no success (even with very low solder iron tip temp). At least without the switches, the MFD will still wake up and display the inportant info (gas, oil, rpm, speed and alarms). BryanP's MFD is in that condition. If you really need the mode and set function you could run 3 wires from the circuit board out the rear of the MFD and mount 2, momentary closed, push button switches external to the MFD.

If you look on ebay, the round MFD's that are being sold as new, may be new but remember these MFD have not been manafactured in many years. They are new, but still old and will probably start to show dim digits in a short period of time. (I found this out by personal experience).

Others who are contemplating cutting open a round MFD please read the many threads on the subject. There are pictures that show where make the cut. If you cut into the ribbon cable the mode and set buttons on the front panel will be history.
    Last edited by K447; 05-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5pm View Post
    I have soldered to other types of ribbon cable (not Polaris) in the past with success. I have a defective MFD with shorted mode switch. I attempted this evening to solder to the polaris ribbon cable with no success (even with very low solder iron tip temp). .
    It seems you have some electrical experience and more patience than me, Have you tried to open the back side of the switch,to see the ribbon contacts ?

I have thought of trying to put a wire into the ribbon to make a connection,but have not attemted it. It has to be layered... right ????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I was trying to re-repair the faded segments on my MFD and cut through the damn ribbon cables for the SET and MODE buttons. So, now I am in need of the buttons only to complete the repair. If anyone could help I would certainly appreciate it !

Thanks
    sawdust

Ive got an open mfd that I was going to toss in the trash. Ribbons are good. If you want it just pay for shipping.

Thread Information