Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 Seadoo RXT-Xas 260 or 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO

Ok first of all this will be my very first ski, Happy 40th birthday present to myself.
    I'm really torn between these two models. I picked up the brochure today for the Yamaha, and the guy there told me that the Yamaha had better stability. But ofcourse he will tell me that because he wants me to buy Yamaha.. so this is why I'm posting here. Advantage to Yamaha or Seadoo... help me decide. Also am I comparing the closest two models?
    I'm wanting a 3 seater..and stability. I plan to stay in fresh water. I also like style and luxury. I'm not looking to race or run the ski to death... I tend to take it easy on my toys but do enjoy having the best of the best.
    Any help or input in these two models would help.
    Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to the forum.
    First of all, I would NOT get one of the suspension models from Sea-Doo. From what I have seen, they have proven to be very problematic and the suspension systems are prone to breaking. This is only my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

The Sea-Doo you would want to consider is the RXT-X 260; it's identical except the hull is not two pieces and it doesn't have the suspension system; that one is a very nice model. I test rode it side by side with the Yamaha FZR and it's a beautiful ski. The RXT-X is super stable and it has a lot of bells and whistles, including water brakes that really work! Other than having a speed limiter, my biggest complaints were; the handling/steering was way too aggressive for my style of riding, the thing just looks huge, and I didn't like the fact that the computer forces you to select a "sport mode" every time you start it in order to get the best performance/speed. I think they are over-priced, but overall it's a beautiful machine.

In the end, we chose the Yamaha FZS because of the great combination of value, speed and proven reliability. The FZS was also a little faster than the RXT-X in our tests. Sorry, I don't have any seat time on the FX Cruiser SHO, but it's also going to be a very stable ski and I think typically the FX hulls are a bit smoother ride than the more aggressive FZS.

My advice is find a dealer with some demo models and test ride them both before you buy; you will be surprised how different these skis can feel once you get them on the water.

Thanks for your input I will take that one off the list.

Thanks for the info. I definately don't want aggressive steering. I'm looking for a very smooth easy mode style, but power there when I want it. I am also Looking at the GTX Limited iS 260 by Seadoo, and I'll check out the Yamah you mentioned as well... I see that one in the brochure I picked up.
    Thanks for all your pwc advice... I am taking the RXT-Xas off the list. and putting the other RXT-X in its place.
    I have to say tho... I really think that RXT-X looks sharp... I like the black with red dragon trim.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PWC_FUN View Post
    Thanks for the info. I definately don't want aggressive steering. I'm looking for a very smooth easy mode style, but power there when I want it. I am also Looking at the GTX Limited iS 260 by Seadoo...
    Okay but keep in mind, all the models with "iS" have the "Intelligent Suspension" see my comments in the first paragraph above of my first reply about this.

I think I made my decision

After lots of reading and reasearch i think I made a decision. I think I'm going to get the 2011 Seadoo GTX 155. http://en-us.sea-doo.com/showroom/Wa...X-215-155.aspx This has all the "luxury" that I'm looking for with all the new technology.. Intelligent break and reverse, Off-throttle assisted steering, able to start in neutral, closed loop cooling system. I like the touring seat for comfort. I like the color as well... will look great being pulled by my black Infiniti QX56 suv.
    I think this is a smart decision... I don't need a supercharged pwc...I think its more for experienced riders and those that want to go 60+ mph on the water. The GTX 155 will go plenty fast for me and suit all my needs. I think overall the engine life would last me longer by not being supercharged.
    Its just natural for me to automatically assume that the most expensive is always the best... was always raised that "you get what you pay for". This is definately not the most expensive but I think its the most economical and practical and smart decision considering this will be my first ski.
    What do ya think?

Banned User
    +1
    After lots of reading and reasearch i think I made a decision. I think I'm going to get the 2011 Seadoo GTX 155. http://en-us.sea-doo.com/showroom/Wa...X-215-155.aspx This has all the "luxury" that I'm looking for with all the new technology.. Intelligent break and reverse, Off-throttle assisted steering, able to start in neutral, closed loop cooling system. I like the touring seat for comfort. I like the color as well... will look great being pulled by my black Infiniti QX56 suv.
    I think this is a smart decision... I don't need a supercharged pwc...I think its more for experienced riders and those that want to go 60+ mph on the water. The GTX 155 will go plenty fast for me and suit all my needs. I think overall the engine life would last me longer by not being supercharged.
    Its just natural for me to automatically assume that the most expensive is always the best... was always raised that "you get what you pay for". This is definately not the most expensive but I think its the most economical and practical and smart decision considering this will be my first ski.
    What do ya think?
    I think you forgot to look at the Yamaha VXR......
    Naturally aspirated, bullet proof engine. Has the "cruiser" style seats, and hauls butt. However, it does not have all the electronic gee whiz stuff the Seadoo has. No cruise control, no off throttle steering, it's got reverse, but you are the intelligence. I just think the GTX is going to leave you wanting more someday-and there really isn't anymore. Also, what is the price of the GTX??
    Top speed of the GTX 155 is around 52mph?? I saw a test report on one-but I just can't find the test now......
    Yamaha VXR will do around 66mph, stock.
    Oh, and you can also start the VXR in neutral-just pull the reverse handle out a little-done.

I would love for Yamaha to come out with a more feature rich version of the VXR-one with cruise control, and adjustable trim, would be nice-but, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I've been reading your safety and how to avoid damage to your new pwc that you posted... thanks for all that great info!
    I also plan on taking a boat and safety course even tho the state of california does not require one it will give me some peace of mind and I'm sure I
    will learn some things. Its going to be a lil stressful for me at the beginning I'm sure... I will be doing this all alone. So backing up to the ramp and unloading and loading my ski
    seems a lil stressful to think about. Any tips on procedure and proper etiquette at the boat ramps? I don't want to get people upset by having to wait for my unexperienced noobness.
    Thanks again for all your information, it sure does help a lot!

+1
    I've been reading your safety and how to avoid damage to your new pwc that you posted... thanks for all that great info!
    Thanks glad you enjoyed it.

I also plan on taking a boat and safety course even tho the state of california does not require one it will give me some peace of mind and I'm sure I will learn some things.
    Good idea!

Its going to be a lil stressful for me at the beginning I'm sure... I will be doing this all alone. So backing up to the ramp and unloading and loading my ski seems a lil stressful to think about. Any tips on procedure and proper etiquette at the boat ramps? I don't want to get people upset by having to wait for my unexperienced noobness.
    Yeah and short trailers on PWC can be a bitch to back up because they turn so quick. You need to practice backing up using your side mirrors to watch the wheels; this is how I trained my son to do it; you can practice in the street next to a curb or on a parking lot. You want to practice by keeping your trailer wheel about 24 inches from the curb as you back up slowly. Once you master this, the ramp will be a piece of cake; just remember to watch the wheels and make small corrections as you go. Of course it helps to have big mirrors, LOL.

Once you get back into the water, make sure you use the parking brake and always start the ski on the trailer before you unhook the bow. That way if you have a problem, you can pull it out quickly instead of holding up the line. This will all become natural for you after a little practice. It might help to take an experienced boater with you the first time to lend a hand, and try to go through the week to avoid the weekend crowds for the first time or two.

I have looked at the VXR.. I actually went yesterday to the yamaha shop and picked up the brochure for all the 2011 models of pwc. The price of the Seadoo GTX 155 is 11,799.00 the reason I'm leaning toward this one is
    because of all the "electronic gee whiz stuff" ... I'm a gadget sorta guy. I like the cruise control and the off throttle steering... remember I'm going to be "new".. this is my first ski.
    I like that safety feature (off throttle assisted steering). I seen the test report from boating magazine yesterday .. showed a top speed of 56.. which i think is plenty fast in my opinion.
    A lot of the lakes around here have speed limits of 35 anyway. The other ski that I actually considered by yamaha was the FX Cruiser Ho. 12,699.00 (naturally aspirated) has a lil bigger engine with top speed of around 66 mph with the 1812 cc engine. But my drawbacks on it is this. I really don't care for the color "silver metallic" i think it blends in too much on the water and I want to be seen. I like the overall looks of the seadoo much better.
    Second I like the brake technology of the Seadoo... maybe its just that I'm new and all but i think around docks (loading and unloading) and given the right situation out on the waterit could be a life saver. Another big consideration that leans me toward the seadoo is the closed loop cooling system. I live here in Los Angeles and If i decided to ever take my ski in the ocean or a lil trip over
    to Catalina Island then I wouldn't have to worry about the salt water in my engine. Now things that I really like about yamah is the larger fuel tank capacity and yamaha's known reliable engines. But knowing how I am... I know the engine on any machine that I get will is going to be reliable because I will take care of it and I like i said I don't plan on being hard on it. Give ya an example i have a 2006 mustang with 23,000 miles on it.. garage kept ect.. this is my main vehicle for everyday use. Still looks like it came off the showroom floor.
    The VXR you mention is 11,199 I do like the Metallic Racing Blue...
    I'm actually sorta surprised at the color choices.. considering that some of them cost as much as a small vehicle... I would have thought they would give you several selections of color. I tend to like the red and black ... thats what really drew me to the RXT-X.
    I do have lots of experience as backing up with the trailer too... I used to have horses and had a 4 horse trailer with living quarters. Also was a truck driver way back when I was in my early 20's. My Infiniti QX56 has a huge television screen that when i go into reverse it shows everything behind me... even beeps like hell if I get close to anything.
    My biggest worry is just doing it all on my own. I don't know of any experienced boaters around here or anyone that has skis. But I will be taking your advice and go during the week instead of the weekend to get use to it all.
    I'm very fortunate to be financially set and not ever having to work another day in my life so I have all the time in the world and can go anytime throughout the week.

+1
    ...I like the break technology of the Seadoo...
    now that is funny right there...
    sorry couldn't resist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information