Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

94 sl750 Starter Question

Hi Everyone, so i just bought a brand new agm battery thinking that my battery was just shot but as it turns out im pretty sure its the starter that's shot. What happens is as soon as i push the button to start it the you could hear the starter engage and the engine physically slightly rock but it doesn't have enough power to turn the pistons. I had this problem last year in the beginning of the season and then i believe i put a booster charger on it while cranking and got it going(I know that is really bad to do and wouldn't do it again) but it also happened randomly throughout the season last year too. Where is a good place to buy the starter from and does this sound like a starter issue?

Thanks!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check that the engine is not physically jammed.

Can you turn the engine over by your hand on the PTO drive shaft coupler?

Tip:remove the spark plugs first so you aren't working against compression while turning.

If the engine can not be turned by hand, remove the jet pump. If the jet pump is jammed the engine will not be able to crank.

+1
    It could be. further investagation is necessary to be sure. First, check your ground cable is attached to the engine cradle. Take the bolt off the neg cable, clean the ends of the cable and the mount where the bolt go in.. also reach under the engine and see if the bolts that hold the engine to the cradle are loose. I had a 94sl with all the bolts on the bottom of the hull. NONE in the engine holding it to the cradle.

Either can cause starting problems.If the bolts are in and tight,and the cable is on tight, try that first.. if nothing,, charge your battery.then test it while trying to crank. it should read 10.6 volts or higher while cranking.

the positive wire that goes to the starter could be loose too. but you wouldnt know till you get the big blue exhaust pipe off.

If you take the exhaust pipe off, remember that there are 2 hoses that connect to it. theres also mounts forward and aft on the pipe holding it too.

Don't try to actually remove the exhaust pipe, once its loose, slide it forward about 3 inches(thats all you'll get anyways) thats after the exhaust manifold bolts are out.

then the starter...it has 2 o-rings on the end of it where the lil gear is.. put on a glove, and wobble the starter like 20 times back n forth and it will let go. watch so you dont smash your hand when the thing finally lets go.it hurts..lol

Go easy with those cheesy bolts that attach it.. you can strip the threads pretty easy.then you have more problems.. clean the surfaces where the starter attaches..

Check your exhaust manifold gaskets for wear and replace if possible. if there ok, reuse them. Be gentle with the exhaust manifold so you dont rip the exhaust gaskets when you get it apart

John Ziggler on here probably has a starter.

You can bench test your starter once its out too. it should run smooth and sound powerful. hold onto it!anything other than that, its junk.

The starter gear could be hung up on the bendix too. If you move the motor backward with the plugs out, it should back down to its original position after a few tries.

If it gets hung up, the starter gear is bad or the bendix is sticking or both and needs replacing..or the starter is loose.
    Last edited by bowsniper; 05-25-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks for both of the writeup!! I will try turning the engine by hand by the coupler, i didnt think it would be able to turn that easy. Thats the coupler right before it exits the hull right? I dont think it should be hung up because it was working before i winterized it. I also tried turning it over without the plugs in but i get the same thing. I will try testing the battery level while i crank it and clean the ground cables. Just by curiosity how would the engine mounts effect it not to start? Also would anyone have and picuters where the starter is located. I am not going to be able to get to the ski for a few days plus its supposed to rain all this week. Thanks Again for all of the help!!!

+1
    like stated above, make sure your cables are in good shape, tight, and clean.

i do have starters, and bendix drives here, in stock if you need. also have new exh gaskets.

Banned User
    +1
    Starter is under the exhaust manifold. Have fun lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    ... as soon as i push the button to start it the you could hear the starter engage and the engine physically slightly rock ...
    This suggests that the jet pump is jammed. The starter motor is twisting the flywheel, and the engine is then torquing against the non-moving drive shaft.

An internal seize of the engine or Bendix could look similar. Which it is can sometimes be deduced by how much the engine position relaxes when the Start button is released.

Start with the mechanical tests before we get into the electrical possibilities.

BTW, the requirement for 'battery voltage over 10.6 volts while cranking' is based on the engine actually cranking. A non-cranking condition is evaluated differently.

Thanks everyone for all the help!! I hope to get to the ski today because its the first day it isnt raining, its rained everyday this week! What would cause the pump or engine to just seize all of a sudden? When i winterized it it started right up with no problem. I also had the same exact thing happen last year in the spring once it sat all winter and a few times thought the season. Does this still sound like a bad pump problem?

Also when i turn the PTO drive shaft coupler how hard should it be to turn without the spark plugs? I should be able to turn it by hand without the assistance of some kind of strap right? Thanks Again!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    Also when i turn the PTO drive shaft coupler how hard should it be to turn without the spark plugs?

I should be able to turn it by hand without the assistance of some kind of strap right? ...
    Firm grip required, but not superman effort.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information