ID:	238902Name:  HPIM1717 (WinCE).JPG
Views: 185
Size:  25.6 KBName:  HPIM1716 (WinCE).JPG
Size:  25.3 KBName:  HPIM1719 (WinCE).JPG
Views: 189
Size:  19.4 KBName:  HPIM2188 (WinCE).JPG
Size:  24.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2187 (WinCE).JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	238897

As you can see, it's almost there. Lots of yellow. Still have mixed reactions to that. Problem is, she won't start. One of those, "Electrical path flows to the least resistance" things. I hear the relay click, but that's it. I follow the voltage trail to the starter and it's all good. Probably a bad ground somewhere, but since I am no electrician, this will take me a while to find. Also, how long does it take for fuel to flow? I got the fuel all the way to the entrance of the carb, hook the starter directly from the battery so it does turn over. I turned it over for a while, taking the plugs out every few rotations to get some lubrication in there, but still no fuel out of the carb yet. Do I have issues with that or do I just keep turning the engine over?

Banned User
    +1
    I like the yellow. Looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon129 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston and dome.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	238902Name:  HPIM1717 (WinCE).JPG
Size:  25.6 KBName:  HPIM1716 (WinCE).JPG
Size:  25.3 KBName:  HPIM1719 (WinCE).JPG
Views: 189
Size:  19.4 KBName:  HPIM2188 (WinCE).JPG
Size:  24.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2187 (WinCE).JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	238897

As you can see, it's almost there. Lots of yellow. Still have mixed reactions to that. Problem is, she won't start. One of those, "Electrical path flows to the least resistance" things. I hear the relay click, but that's it. I follow the voltage trail to the starter and it's all good. Probably a bad ground somewhere, but since I am no electrician, this will take me a while to find. Also, how long does it take for fuel to flow? I got the fuel all the way to the entrance of the carb, hook the starter directly from the battery so it does turn over. I turned it over for a while, taking the plugs out every few rotations to get some lubrication in there, but still no fuel out of the carb yet. Do I have issues with that or do I just keep turning the engine over?
    Fix your electrical issue, then prime the carbs, once it fires the fuel lines will fill up quickly.
    I really like the yellow, but you need to ditch the stock fa and get some pods.

+1
    I got the fuel all the way to the entrance of the carb, hook the starter directly from the battery so it does turn over. I turned it over for a while, taking the plugs out every few rotations to get some lubrication in there, but still no fuel out of the carb yet. Do I have issues with that or do I just keep turning the engine over?
    The yellow is cool, I'm doing my pro in yellow so I totally approve. Do you have a primer setup? When I did 2 skis last year I had to pump the primer for like 5 minutes straight to get the fuel out, I had replaced all the hoses. The same thing was happening on the second ski so I just pulled the fuel hose from the carb and siphoned it to let it flow, primer straight away after that. Oh and I did it the old fashioned way mouth to hose, just don't drink any!

+1
    As you can see, it's almost there. Lots of yellow. Still have mixed reactions to that.
    Nice job and the Yellow looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I really like the yellow, but you need to ditch the stock fa and get some pods.
    Maybe some Blowsion Air Force Yellows???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000951_300.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	238915  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check your battery cable connections are good and tight. Even at the ground connection in the engine. (no paint between the cable and aluminum)

Is the battery fully charged? What's your cranking voltage?

I heard only a click at the solenoid. Then my boss fiddled with the cables and tightened the screw a tad more and she cranked.

I don't think you'll ever see fuel coming out the jets when cranking, it's such a low RPM. The guys are right. Priming it first is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Nice job and the Yellow looks fine.

Maybe some Blowsion Air Force Yellows???
    I totally agree those yellow pods would be a nice touch. Question is... Would he have to rejet the highs to compensate for the additional airflow?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... I hear the relay click, but that's it. I follow the voltage trail to the starter and it's all good.

Probably a bad ground somewhere, but since I am no electrician, this will take me a while to find...
    Start relay (solenoid) may be bad.

Remove the battery negative cable from the engine and make sure there is no paint between the cable end and the engine case, and no paint in the bolt hole threads. The bolt itself should also have no paint. Clean metal-to-metal contact is what you want.

BTW, the same applies to the starter motor bolts. No paint between the starter motor mount bosses and the starter motor case, and no paint on the starter motor bolts.

+1
    make sure you didn't reverse the red cables the one that goes to the battery and the one that goes to the starter been there and done that before

Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar
    HA!!! I figured I would get the comments on the stock arrestors. I'd love to have a set but it took me all fall and winter to gather the funds to get the ski as it sits now, and the powder coating was free!!!!

Well, for the folks familiar with the phenolic insulators that rest on the starter lead, that's what the problem was. That insulator was stuck on the starter lead. I didn't see it so the voltage was certainly going all the way through to the lead, but of course, never made it to the starter. That's fun sticking your arm in there getting that straight.

Got it started and and the head cover leaks like hell. It was as if I never put that o-ring in there. I did but it might have gotten pinched or something. I'll take care of that sometime this week. Funny, my other 1050 was getting hot on the mag end so I did the pisser mod and changed out that cover since the paint was flaking off and you could see the visible overheating. That also leaks too. No biggie, both of those will be taken care of later this week.

Thanks for all of the suggestions on getting the ski going. I knew it had to be something easy. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I usually end up finding the problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information