Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1992 sl 650 ?

Arrow 1992 sl 650 ?

ok so put new piston in and rings all around and took ski out to test and it took off then died, after that try ed to adjust carb a little and found that i had some electrical issues with some wires that got melted from the exhaust , i tryed to start ski and would not turn over like there was no battery in it.......? so all try and fix that... my Question is the dying just after few sec of taking of could that be a carb adjust ment, i did have a restricter in it for the return line but my plugs were coming out soaked in fuel and would dye at high rpm when dry tested the ski.
    after testing at lake i felt like times it would take of with power and then bog down, do i just need to tune carb and maybe put in a bigger re stricter for little more fuel to pass in the return line.........? i tested compression on all 3 and before took out to lake and had 100 to 102 all across the board......... is this good..........? please help this ski is racking my brain

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What were your piston and ring gap clearances set at?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Melted wires? Did you omit the plastic battery cover?

If the electrical box shell touches the battery posts it can short and melt the black wire in the cable running to the magneto stator. If that has happened you may need to replace the entire stator assembly, or at least properly repair all the damaged wiring.

~100PSI compression on all three cylinders? Are you sure your gauge is accurate?

i cant recall what they were......

my gauge my not be working right it was a cheap one from harbor fright, not realy sure how to use it..... what should i be reading or around........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0420 View Post
    ... not really sure how to use it..... what should i be reading or around...
    Only use a screw-in compression gauge, not one that you hold or press in with your hand.

There should be an o-ring or seal where the gauge screws into the spark plug hole.

Remove all spark plugs.

Ground the ends of the plug wires, or insert spark plugs into the ends and then ground the plug bodies somewhere on bare engine metal. Do not position the spark plug tips near the open spark plug holes. There will be some fuel fumes coming out of the cylinder head holes when you are cranking.

Hold or tie the throttle wide open.
    (Don't forget to remove the tie before you start the engine later on).

Push the Start button and watch the compression gauge needle pulse upwards. When the pulses stop moving the needle higher, release the Start button. Make a note of the highest reading the needle was able to sustain. Should take under 10 seconds of cranking to get a reading.

Move on to the next cylinder and repeat.

Record all three readings.

Now go back and do all three cylinders again.

The second set of readings should be very similar to the first round.

Typically you should get readings around 120PSI or slightly higher. Different gauges will provide different readings on the same engine, but should be in the same ballpark.

Compare the highest cylinder reading to the lowest cylinder. The difference should be less than 5% for a really good engine. A difference of 10% is too much and suggests an engine rebuild or top end may be needed.

+1
    i cant recall what they were......
    Did you at least check them when you did the install?

yes i did , just didnt write them down so i cant recall what they were.... is there a chance that i could be the restricter that i pulled out because when i dry ran it with a hose to start it for first time it would cut out at high rpm and when i pulled the plugs they were realy wet, and when i took the restricter out it solved that problem but could it be diffrent when it is in water or do i maybe have to much restriction.........? at the lake i pulled my plugs and they were dry and kinda looked like burt around edges......? i will chk compression agin ........

+1
    OK, so you at least checked the clearances. Hopefully you had them within spec.

You mention the exhaust melted the wires???

The exhaust is water jacketed to keep temps down. So was the exhaust hot to the touch and really did melt the wires? If so, you may have overheated the engine which will cause a seizure.

Is you overheat warning buzzer installed?

+1
    ... is there a chance that i could be the restricter that i pulled out because when i dry ran it with a hose to start it for first time it would cut out at high rpm and when i pulled the plugs they were realy wet, and when i took the restricter out it solved that problem but could it be diffrent when it is in water or do i maybe have to much restriction.........? at the lake i pulled my plugs and they were dry and kinda looked like burnt around edges......? i will chk compression agin ........
    What restrictor did you remove?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information