Need some advice on an Ultra 150

I am considering purchasing an Ultra 150 as a second watercraft and wanted to get some opinions of those who already own one. I have a 09 Ultra 260x which is an incredible machine, but am looking for something a little more nimble. I need to know if there are certain areas/things I need to look at/for when shopping or if there are any years that are problem prone and I need to avoid. I would also like to know what a good price would be for one. Thanks for the help
    Jon

+1
    Of course, a test ride is mandatory. Look for water leaks when it's in the water. Probably a good idea to replace the oil lines and secure them properly. Inspect the oil pump cable for fraying. Make sure the display and trim work, they're expensive to repair.

Pump bearings are pretty short-lived. Check impeller condition.

Be leery of one that has recently had a top overhaul, especially if SBT parts were used

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Definitely check oil lines they're the #1 killer of the 1200 engine, see if they feel wet at all especially near the carb nipples. Try and pull up to feel motor mounts aren't gone, driveshaft thru bearing holder assembly is kinda expensive and likes to crack/ leak every few years. Fuel level sending unit in the tank likes to get stuck halfway, if it's not stuck that is a good sign, if it is, don't worry about it. And the pump. Oohh the pump, lol... I was able to hear a faint (rusty) bearing noise coming from mine this year while running but you may not. I hear they need rebuilds every 50-70 hours but I don't know if mine was ever done yet at 89.. Pump rebuild is $300 at Skiworx if impeller is still good so keep that in mind and use it to negotiate with seller. Overall, great ski, I was able to keep up with a 250X last summer and way more nimble

Oh yea, and be weary of anyone who says they "converted it to premix because it's safer" with an Ultra 150. Specifically the Ultra 150 and STX-R 1200 have a well designed and intricate oil injection system that works very well and SHOULD NOT BE CONVERTED TO PREMIX!!!
    Last edited by Saltwater n Premix; 05-16-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: forgot sumthin...

+1
    Yep I agree with what everyone else said. But if you take care of them they will last a good while. I bought my 99 new and so far I've only replaced the oil lines (with tygon) and changed the impeller (to a tweaked 16/20 dyna-fly from Group K) and bearings once. The fuel level sensor only goes down to 1/4 tank sometimes but when it does I just head for the boat ramp. I don't know of any bad problems with them. Heck, I have had the original battery until last year. I dont know how that happened!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JH1200A1 View Post
    Heck, I have had the original battery until last year. I dont know how that happened!
    The original Yuasa battery in mine lasted 9 years. I put a trickle charger on it with a timer, let it charge 15 minutes per day.

Thread Information