Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 RXDI issue / Electrical / Fuel Pump

Well reading over a lot of threads on here , a lot of people bash the DI.. Had mine out for the first time yesterday.. ( 96 hours on it and just had it tuned up ) , its fast, and sips the fuel.. but half way through the day I started getting an issue.. I would give it throttle and it would stat to sputter and seem like it wasn't getting fuel.. then die.. , I would restart and same thing ... , but I did notice when I unplugged and replugged the lanyard it started up and ran fine again .. it was weird. periodically this happened through out the last 2 hours of the lake.. almost like it wasn't getting fuel .. and it actually wouldn't even keep an idle at the end. But replugging the lanyard reset something.

The shop I took it to thinks a voltage regulator ( as he told me that was giving him weird feedback in the test during tune up ) ...or a fuel pump module. Taking it back tomorrow to get it looked at again.

Just thought I would get some feedback from guys who may have had this same iissue.. What you think? Thanks for the feedback in advance!

+1
    I have a xp di and have had to replace both the regulator and the fuel pump. Usually when the regulator goes bad it will give you a 12 volt low warning on the display. When my fuel pump went bad you could pull the key off and plug it back on which re primes the fuel pump allowing it to start and run till it runs out of fuel again. Kinda like when you have a bad fuel pump in a car and it wont start you can turn the key on and off a few times to prime the fuel pump and it will start. a early warning the fuel pump is on its way out. I ended up cutting a fuel pressure guage into my fuel line to see if I had suficent fuel pressure when the ski started running bad. Sure enough the fuel pressure would drop and the ski would barley run. Hopefully it is just the regulator and not the fuel pump. You can also check the regulator by testing the voltage at the battery to see if it is charging or overcharging. If it is not charging then it is either the stator or the regulator and you will have to determine which it is.

Thanks for the advice !! Took it to the shop today and he figured out the regulator is fine.. , he assumes it may be some old fuel still in the tank from the guy I bought it from... its running strong then loses power for a bit, then strong again. Before we replace the pump, he recommended I take it to the lake again and run it hard to run all that fuel through the system.. He thinks it will only get better .. but if it doesn't we know what the problem is and its time for a new fuel pump module. Crossing my fingers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucke.b View Post
    Thanks for the advice !! Took it to the shop today and he figured out the regulator is fine.. , he assumes it may be some old fuel still in the tank from the guy I bought it from... its running strong then loses power for a bit, then strong again. Before we replace the pump, he recommended I take it to the lake again and run it hard to run all that fuel through the system.. He thinks it will only get better .. but if it doesn't we know what the problem is and its time for a new fuel pump module. Crossing my fingers.
    If i'm not mistaken the DI's use a similar fuel pump module as the 4-tecs. If so it is possible you could replace just the fuel pump with a walbro gss342 instead of repacing the whole $700 module.

+1
    They are similar but I asked that question before and I was told that a walbro cant be used because while the walbro has the volume it can not provide the pressure needed for a DI. When I tested my fuel pressure on my DI it was in the high 90's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted-delslow View Post
    They are similar but I asked that question before and I was told that a walbro cant be used because while the walbro has the volume it can not provide the pressure needed for a DI. When I tested my fuel pressure on my DI it was in the high 90's.
    High output walbro is capable of 110psi @11gal/hr
    @90psi it flows 32 gal/hr

+1
    You might be right then about being able to use them. I replaced mine about 5 years ago and it was like nobody new anything about the DI and the only option was to buy the factory fuel module. I paid around 500 for it from my local dealer. It would be nice drop in a 100 dollar walbro.

Well I took it out yesterday to try to run it hard.. It couldnt get over 4500 RPM without sputtering and dieing, and after an hour or so, it would barely hold an idle. So Im assuming its the fuel pump module. I even took the RAVES out and they were surprisingly super clean. So Voltage regulator was ruled out.. , Raves are clean, so must be fuel pump , or fuel pressure. Are there any injectors that need to be cleaned?

Back to the shop it goes..

Has anyone used a Walbro pump for a 02 RXDI ? i am very interested in ..

Quote Originally Posted by Chucke.b View Post
    Well I took it out yesterday to try to run it hard.. It couldnt get over 4500 RPM without sputtering and dieing, and after an hour or so, it would barely hold an idle. So Im assuming its the fuel pump module. I even took the RAVES out and they were surprisingly super clean. So Voltage regulator was ruled out.. , Raves are clean, so must be fuel pump , or fuel pressure. Are there any injectors that need to be cleaned?

Back to the shop it goes..
    Hi Chuck - what did you end up doing? my 2001 RXDI (same color scheme as yours) has the very same issue. so I'm looking at $1k for new fuel pump or $40 for non-Seadoo... would like to hear what you did to get your happy

Thanks,
    Brian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information